Shed Thread

Mohammad,

Don't make it more complicated than it is.:)

64 sq. ft. or less - No permit required, no inspections - You can do whatever you want.:thumb:

Over 64 sq.ft. - Build a basic storage shed with no extras. Once it is inspected and signed off, add the things you want.;)

Just my $0.02.
Ike

64 sq. ft. or less - No permit required, no inspections
Where I used to live in NJ the limit was 99 sf. Anything larger required footings and inspections. - HOWEVER - I could have put a dozen 99 sf sheds in without any permits or inspections.

If you need more room than the 64 sf offers, consider a second shed!:D

Mohammad, I think you can do it. And Vaughn's kind offer will lead to all sorts of positive experiences, I am sure. I hesitated to build my chicken coop for a long time, but once underway, it was very satisfying, and a lot of fun. And in the end, you get a shed. I'm also with the KISS crowd. Keep it simple.

Perhaps, you should build 2 sheds, it could lead to fame:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLjS3gzHetA

Last edited:
Ken, I finally got around to watching the video clip. That was funny. I don't think I need fame like that. It will be just one shed in my case.:rofl:

Here is what I received from a nice gentleman who lives out in the desert. Thank You B. D.

Attachments

• IMG_1716.jpg
    IMG_1716.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 29
Well I guess I'm odd man out. I would build what you want for a shed and get all the proper permits. With all the ducks in a row you wont have a visit from the law later telling you to take it down or you can't work in your shop any more.:doh:

Well I guess I'm odd man out. I would build what you want for a shed and get all the proper permits. With all the ducks in a row you wont have a visit from the law later telling you to take it down or you can't work in your shop any more.:doh:

Mohammad is most definitely doing things the right way. He's been meeting with the code folks and discussing the rules and regs. I'm sure he'll be following all the proper procedures! :thumb:

Well done on sending the book, Brent. I told Mohammad the other day that despite what people here might think, I'm not a carpenter. I've helped frame a half dozen or so buildings, but there was always one or two guys who knew what they were doing telling the rest of us what to do. I told him that I'd seen enough of it, that with a good book we could get it knocked out. You've handled the book part. :thumb:

Well done on sending the book, Brent. I told Mohammad the other day that despite what people here might think, I'm not a carpenter. I've helped frame a half dozen or so buildings, but there was always one or two guys who knew what they were doing telling the rest of us what to do. I told him that I'd seen enough of it, that with a good book we could get it knocked out. You've handled the book part. :thumb:

I got the easy part! It's a pretty decent book, but my shed plans came from the internets. I figured I wouldn't probably ever look at the book again, and I'd like to see someone I know get some use out of it!

Thing are shaping up so that I might actually be able to get to work on my shed this weekend....

Ahh! now I know why the book was in mint condition.

I spoke with the DWP's easement department and they emailed me an application. I have to submit the application along with a plot/site plan and an elevation plan. They will review the application and may send out someone to inspect the easement before making a decision. The whole process may take up to 30 days. They don't charge a fee.

The application included a sample plot plan. I went down to the records' department at Los Angeles dept of building & safety and got a copy of the existing plot plan. Now I won't have to measure everything.

Does the plan have to be on some special size paper or can it be on a regular 8.5 x 11 paper? Any idea.

Mohammad when ever i have done something like this i have used old school graph paper and tried to draw it somewhat to scale. Makes it easier if there is a dimension that you dont put on it that someone wants for some reason.

But i dont know the rules especially in California since Arnold was there.:D

Id find it hard to believe a place in california is any different that a place in NY...

Looks like you were correct, Allen. Mohammad has learned that they do indeed require electrical inspections of sheds. ;)

...Does the plan have to be on some special size paper or can it be on a regular 8.5 x 11 paper? Any idea.

From my limited experience in other towns (and states), 8.5 x 11 paper is just fine as long as the drawing has all the info the reviewers are looking for.

I wonder, if you wired a small 'movable' shed with a couple of outlets and lights, and then had a cord on it that plugged into a yard outlet by the shed, how would that be treated?

Gary

Gary, I would assume, electric is electric and they would want the permit.
Mohammad, sounds like you are moving in the right direction and taking the needed steps to insure you stay out of trouble. 64 isn't very big. Is that going to do what you wanted or will you make plans for a larger shed?

I think bringing in power by any means would require a permit. I would like to avoid any potential problems in the future.

Currently, I am planning on building a 112 sf shed.

Lighting

Mohammad,

For lighting in your shed you may want to ask about codes for low voltage lighting.

Apparently there is just about no requirements on this and can be buried just a few inches underground. Needs a transformer in the house plugged into a GFCI and run a low voltage line to the shed and hook it up to a low voltage light.

Granted, this was a quick call I made and was regarding wiring for landscape lighting as that's the only info they had on low-voltage lighting. I was told to call my local electrical inspector directly to see if it would require a permit & inspection. I'll do that once I finish my shed and get it inspected and signed off.