Big Blue Card Scrapers

Stuart Ablett

I have two blades for Big Blue (my resaw bandsaw) that are of no use on the saw, one that came with the saw is missing more teeth than it still has, and the other got "Kinked" when something slipped the should not have......:rolleyes:

OK this is what I'm starting with......

card_scrapers_ring_o_scrapers.jpg

Yep, I see a lot of card scrapers there :thumb:

I cut the blade at one point...........

card_scrapers_long_blade.jpg
......... and now I have a lot of long blades!

card_scrapers_first_cut.jpg
I made up a clamp/jig of sorts to cut the blade up into 4" long pieces.
I found that I did not have to cut all the way through the blade, just score it and then it would snap off.

card_scrapers_detoothing.jpg
Next I made another little jig to hold the toothed edge up, so I could cut them off...........

card_scrapers_detoothed.jpg
Smooth cut

I then filed and burnished an edge on the new card scraper...............

card_scrapers_works2.jpg

............and it works! :thumb: :D

I see about 20 scrapers in that one blade, and I have another one in waiting! :rolleyes:

I guess I can make various shapes....................hey Alex, need some scrapers! :wave:

Cheers!

Well, I did a bit more tuning on the card scraper, and got much bette results...............

card_scraper_more_tuning.jpg
I think that is more like it, more shavings, and less "dust" :rolleyes:

You know, somedays I just have to put the "Stu" in stupid, dunno why, but I thought the steel in these blades would be REALLY hard and I would "HAVE TO" use the abrasives to cut off pieces, well, I just had the idea to cut the blade up with my tin snips, the ides just "Popped" into my little brain, and guess what............

snip_snip1.jpg

Yep, that sure is a lot easier :rofl:

snip_snip2.jpg
less mess, no noise, no dust........ making hand tools with hand tools, can't be much better than that! :D :rolleyes::wave:

Cheers!

Scratch Stocks, dunno what those are..........? :huh:

Got any pics?

I'll have about 40 pieces that will be about 2" x 4" so I should have a bit of stock to work with :rolleyes:

Cheers!

PS anyone interested in a giveaway?

I'm thinking if anyone is interested, I could easily ship 6 blanks (to be filed, shaped and or sharpened by the winner) to the winner for the cost of a cup of Starbucks, they would fit in a regular envelope.

Cheers!

A scratch stock is a scraper with a profile, held in a piece of wood (to provide stiffness and a comfortable grip) that can be used to produce some pretty complex profiles.

You basically grind/file a negative of the profile you want to produce into the steel and using the wood holder as a fence, start running your scratch stock, held in a vertical position, along the work piece and gradually develop the profile you want.

It's an excellent tool for doing reeds and flutes - on turned stock or flat work. You can use it to put a thumbnail profile on a table top - it's the best tool to put a profile in a radiused corner. Sometimes you want to remove some material with a plane to get close to the final profile and finish with the scratch stock. Extremely underrated in the router bit age.

Here's a link to an article at Lee Valley about making a scratch stock for cutting beads. article

I bet our friend Jr Strasil has a lot more to say on this topic.

.........Here's a link to an article at Lee Valley about making a scratch stock for cutting beads. article

I bet our friend Jr Strasil has a lot more to say on this topic.

Thanks for that, very cool, add it to my list of things to make! :thumb:

I sure do hope that Mr. Strasil has something to add, I always enjoy what he has to say! :D

Stu,

Thanks for the blanks. I also read that article from Lee Valley about making scratch stocks. They send me a monthly newsletter by e-mail and I think that one was in it about two months back Their mailing list is a pretty good one to be on.

Last edited: