Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Americas Cup World Series- Cascais Spain

Americas Cup World Series- Cascais Spain

Am I the only nut that want's to watch these races and will try to do it over the internet?

Yes, It's Yacht racing, No I don't own a yacht, but I do have a slow as get out sail boat.

I got hooked watching Americas cup races when I was in Grad school and would have to stay up all night to watch the races. Can't believe they were actually broadcast on TV back then.

Still quite a ways from the actual cup races, but this is the first in the series to determine the 'challenger'. The actual races will be in San Francisco.

It's kind of like Nascar, but with really big expensive boats on the water. They occasionally even trade paint!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

I'll be watching too Brent. Right after the golf tournament, cricket match and watching the grass grow
    Faith, Hope & Charity

At least it will be on very early in the morning, so if I sleep through it, it's not Like Nascar where I have to feel guilty about napping through it in the middle of the afternoon...
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    I'll be watching too Brent. Right after the golf tournament, cricket match and watching the grass grow
    Yeah, with the summer curling season in full swing, I don't know if I can pull myself away long enough to watch some boat races.

Actually, I like watching those boats and the teams that run them. I just don't do it very often.

Brent, do you by chance have a link for a live feed?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

One of my favorite things to watch, but unfortunately, I can't find them on TV anymore. Do you have a web address? No I don't have a yacht either. I've been working on a little 12' sail boat for at least 5 years, well I started it about 5 years ago. I am determine I will finish it up one of these day. I have never sailed or even been in a sail boat, but I hope to. I'd better hurry, I'm getting old!

Is this the place to watch them?:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...079110,00.html
    Last edited by Paul Douglass; 08-06-2011 at 02:38 AM.
    "We the People ......"

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Yeah, with the summer curling season in full swing, I don't know if I can pull myself away long enough to watch some boat races.

Actually, I like watching those boats and the teams that run them. I just don't do it very often.

Brent, do you by chance have a link for a live feed?
    They say there will be a live feed here somewhere, but I'm guessing you have to wait till it's actually one?

http://www.americascup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Douglass View Post
    One of my favorite things to watch, but unfortunately, I can't find them on TV anymore. Do you have a web address? No I don't have a yacht either. I've been working on a little 12' sail boat for at least 5 years, well I started it about 5 years ago. I am determine I will finish it up one of these day. I have never sailed or even been in a sail boat, but I hope to. I'd better hurry, I'm getting old!

Is this the place to watch them?:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...079110,00.html
    Well that link looks like it should have something Paul! Thanks for that!

But seriously, watching the races on TV when they have all of the computer tracking and you can watch the tacking duels and see the lines they take, it's really kind of fascinating. At least to a frustrated sailor in the middle of Nevada...

Looks like a race is about to begin on AmericasCup.com.

What I didn't realize is that on these fancy boats, they don't have all the fancy electronics like they used to. No compass, no windgauge, no gps plotters. It's all down to instinctual sailing, on an enormous catamaran....

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Looks like a race is about to begin on AmericasCup.com.

What I didn't realize is that on these fancy boats, they don't have all the fancy electronics like they used to. No compass, no windgauge, no gps plotters. It's all down to instinctual sailing, on an enormous catamaran....
    Been so long since I've seen the AC that I didn't even know they'd switched to catamarans. I thought they were still using the deep hulled, weighted-keel design.
    Jim D.