Americas Cup World Series- Cascais Spain

Love AC, though I'm not sure I want just catamarans.

Brent and I participated in a sailboat race once, before the annual picnic at our harbor on the Delta. Of course, we, in our cheesy Mac (26' MacGregor) were last.

We even stopped for lunch before the finish line. Someone came out to see if we were OK....we said, "No, just having lunch"... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Other than that, I love our little camper that can sit in the water :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Sharon i fully agree with your point. In my view Yatching competitions like this have loads of tradition and started with schooners a single hull boat. Thats how it should remain in my view. If multi hulls want a race of this stature they should muster the support and create their own.

I still have not been able to ascertain how this event became multi hulls. Do you guys know how this came about last yeaf? I have not been able to find specific reference to this detail.

sent from my Atrix

Yeah, with the summer curling season in full swing, I don't know if I can pull myself away long enough to watch some boat races. :p

funny you mention that. I used to have a competitive curler who lived with me for a while, and she offered to train my son, then 15. he looked at her like she had 3 heads, "thank you very much, but I don't think so. Is that even a sport?"

Congrats to the Kiwis!!!!!!!!!!! They just seem to like coming from behind. Great racing. I hope this site shows the other Cup races in the series. It keeps me excited about working on my little boat.

I've got to say I find the cat racing pretty exciting. In the mono hulls it seem pretty much whoever gets a good lead wins unless they have equipment problems. In this racing, it is not over until it is over.

Last edited:
It was a pretty good race today wasn't it. I was out of town all week and couldn't watch any of the other races, but was glad I saw todays.

The start was pretty cool with 9 of those big boats all trying to get the first mark. Was kind of like a drag race. At that point I thought Spithill had a pretty good lock, but it is a mistake to ever underestimate the Kiwis...

Hard to believe we are still 2 years out from the actual cup races!

Looks like the next event will be in September in the UK

http://www.americascup.com/en/Discover/Race-Format/The-AC-World/AC-World-Series-Stop-2---Plymouth-UK/

Here's a great read on the Americas Cup Races.

What happened in the last series, what governed the design of the new boats, etc...

What I didn't realize is that the races we've been watching are essentially 'warm up' races on what are really just about half size boats. The current boats are 45' long, the ones they will use for the Louis Vuitton and Americas cup races will be 72' long with much bigger wings... :eek:

http://m.wired.com/magazine/2011/08/ff_americascup/all/1?pid=6439