Cherry Table - Delivered - Final pics

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
I recently received a commission to build a cherry hall table for a local broker. He'll use it to hold a mid sized flat screen in his front office. This is the reason I purchased the Freud rip blade!:D And, as you can see in the first pic, 8/4 cherry was no match for the blade. I'm very happy with it.

This is a low budget job (for me, at least) so I'm afraid I was not as particular in my choice of woods as I could have been. This cherry (not from MI :rolleyes:) has a few minor defects, but overall I think it will turn out fine.

I did the first dry assemble this evening (I only started this yesterday afternoon - watch out Allen, I'm comin' for ya!):rofl::rofl::rofl: Working from 'altered' plans from both WWJ and WS magazines.

Cherry Table 1.jpgCherry Table 2.jpg

Still much to do. I have to trim the top to size and taper the edges - then build the drawer. More pics to come.

Last edited:
I double checked the taper on the legs, something didn't look right, and sure enough, they were supposed to taper to 1" square (tapered 2 sides) but only taper to 1 1/4" square. Now I have to consider putting them back on the saw and trying to fix them.

Looking good Rennie!
2 possible solutions for the taper. 1 as you stated on the table saw. which would be the easiest with a tapering board the other would be to run them on the jointer but that will only follow the existing angle as they sit so you would need to strike lines and work to them.

Good, clean, simplistic design:thumb:. The cherry looks fine also. Are you going to put it out for a sun tan or stain? Sure looks good so far Rennie:)

Rennie, that to my eye looks great! (as Tony the Tiger used to say! :rofl::rofl:) With the fit of the current legs, is it worth the risk?

Tom, I didn't know cherry would "suntan". What is the color change?

Good, clean, simplistic design:thumb:. The cherry looks fine also. Are you going to put it out for a sun tan or stain? Sure looks good so far Rennie:)
No, sorry, no tan on this one. I'm going to finish it with a couple of coats of dewaxed shellac followed by satin poly. It needs to stay rather light to come close to the color of a nearby mantel in the broker's office.

Rennie, that to my eye looks great! (as Tony the Tiger used to say! :rofl::rofl:) With the fit of the current legs, is it worth the risk?

Tom, I didn't know cherry would "suntan". What is the color change?

Rennie, as for the taper, how about bandsaw to near, and finish up with a handplane?

It looks great so far.

Thanks Johnathan, but to me they look a bit chunky. I have not decided on a means yet (my taper jig did OK but I don't like using it. The bandsaw might be the way to go but I'll probably use the jointer to do most of the clean up on the cuts as I don't have a good hand plane. (I really need to get a replacement blade for my old Bailey #4 ad restore that thing):eek:

Here's an update on the cherry table - I decided against the drawer and replaced the apron with a solid piece. My customer did not ask for a drawer and I was having a few problems with wood movement around the opening, so...:dunno:

After two coats of dewaxed shellac and 4 coats of wipe on satin poly (lightly sanded to 400 between coats)this is how it looks. I want at least three more coats on the top and maybe one or two more on the base (0000 steel wool between coats). I hope to deliver it on Monday. I'll take some pics upon delivery. (cell phone quality pics - sorry)

Cherry Table 3 lrg.jpgCherry Table 4 lrg.jpg

looks real good Rennie but since you doing this for money and since you using poly already why so many coats. Poly is hard stuff on its own. I dont understand the benefits of so many layers?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

looks real good Rennie but since you doing this for money and since you using poly already why so many coats. Poly is hard stuff on its own. I dont understand the benefits of so many layers?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
The wipe on goes on VERY thin and takes at least two, maybe three coats to equal one coat of brush on. So, the top will get the equivalent of 2 or 3 coats of brush on, the base 2. I always assume the top will get more wear than the base, makes sense, so I always lay on a couple of extra coats to be safe.

Anybody else think this way? Just me? :huh::huh::rofl:

Absolutely agree with you Rennie. Wipe on poly is way thin compared to brush on, and several coats are needed. That said, once completed, they will look great, and wear well. Very nice table.