FWW Meet Up - near Pickles Gap, AR!

Kerry Burton

In the middle of visiting my parents in Arkansas last week, I had the chance to meet up with none other than Mark Cothren. He and I had PM'd a few times (a few years ago) but this was our first chance to get together.

First, the obligatory "shop shot". Mark had been roughing out a bit of walnut and ... ash?

A590_2331_MarkCothren_ShopShot.jpg

Unfortunately, the circumstances that allowed us to meet also meant that I showed up at his place on Sunday after church ... ergo the suit. (That's right; he's the preacher, but I'm the one who's all dressed up!)

A590_2332_MarkCothren_withKerry.jpg

I wasn't able to stay long; only 45 minutes or so. But Mark was a great host, and wouldn't let me leave without giving me a peek at some of his collection. Almost all of these pieces were created entirely by Mark, but one or two were turned by others, and the "checkerboard" blank was supplied by someone else and turned by Mark:

A590_2334_MarkCothren_Turnings.jpg

As I recall, Mark lives just off of Larry's last "Tour de Wood" route. Did Mark get a visit from The Ambassador?

Good to see you two got a chance to meet up. I need to meet Mark in person one of these days myself. Mark really needs to have a talk with his maid, though. :rolleyes: I can't deny the results he gets out of that mess are indisputably sweet. :thumb:

And I'm surprised that he's such a tall, handsome fella. Barry always told me he was short and ugly. No wait...I think he was talking about Keith Burns. :p

I hope you met his wife as she is definitely his better 1/2.:rofl::rofl:
Well, she came out to the shop and took the second photo, but then she had to get back on a call ... with her mother, I believe.

[...]that's one fine collection of turnings!!!
Yep, and how 'bout that collection of shavings! :rofl:

I need to meet Mark in person one of these days myself.
Yeah, especially since he said you two were good friends. :huh:

Family visits, isn't it amazing how we are total strangers with one common link (this forum) yet we feel we have known them our whole lives. Great visit, outstanding collection of turned items. Thanks for the pictures and letting us in on the visit Kerry. Hi Mark!:wave::wave: