Dummy Restoration

This is a Paul Winchell, Jerry Mahoney, Semi-Pro ventriloquist dummy. I was asked to restore him from a magician friend Vanishing Vinnyhttp://www.vanishingvinny.com . He has a great trick he's doing that requires a very classy looking dummy.For the restoration we came up with a fair barter. He would design for me some important promotional material I needed for an upcoming magic show http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150256330880679&set=a.102832420678.96432.102376150678&type=1&theater, and I would restore the dummy for his magic show. I accepted the challenge and it took me about 2 full days of work to finish.The original clothes were stained, torn, and stinky! the creepy part was that their were sweat stains on his collar.Anyway, I took apart his clothes piece by piece and slowly replicated his outfit. He works great!

Attachments

• IMG_5420.jpg
    IMG_5420.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5429.jpg
    IMG_5429.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5428.jpg
    IMG_5428.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5427.jpg
    IMG_5427.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5426.JPG
    IMG_5426.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5425.JPG
    IMG_5425.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5424.JPG
    IMG_5424.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5423.JPG
    IMG_5423.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5422.jpg
    IMG_5422.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5421.jpg
    IMG_5421.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
More Photos

More photos....

Attachments

• IMG_5435.jpg
    IMG_5435.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5434.jpg
    IMG_5434.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5433.jpg
    IMG_5433.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5432.jpg
    IMG_5432.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5431.jpg
    IMG_5431.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5430.jpg
    IMG_5430.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5436.jpg
    IMG_5436.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 23
Now that is amazing. My daughters can sew quite well. The oldest Fina would love doing that type of thing. Beautiful work. Ventriloquism has fascinated my youngest daughter Tess to the point a high school student when Tess was in third grade gave her lessons and we bought Tess a Lamb Chop doll. Great trade. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Very good work Mario. When you added the bow tie it made me think of "Pee Wee Herman" :rofl: I'm sure your friend will be happy with the work you did and you get something for your efforts as well.

Thanks @Rob Keeble, @Allen levine!!

@Jonathan Shively It's such a lost art in so many ways. At a magic convention in Colon MI their was a lecture given by George Schindler about Vent. He was awesome!! George talked about the history and how to re-learn the alphabet in a way that can be done with your mouth closed. I gave a stab at it for a few days and It is really difficult! It's hard work, but when you see it done right, it's like real magic!

Thanks @Jay! maybe I should get another one and hook it up to the organ! lol

@Tom The bow tie is totally like Pee-Wee! lol

Yes, I don't remember and Tess is at work right now (tried to call and ask her), I think she had to say the alphabet with her mouth closed using the tip of her tongue to touch the roof of her mouth to help with the sounds, think there were two letters that you couldn't pronounce correctly but putting them with another letter you could make it sound correct without it being correct if that makes sense. She was pretty good, don't know if she could do it now, think she is out of practice. I always wanted to learn to throw my voice so I could startle a kid in the backrow of my classroom!:rofl::rofl::thumb:

Thanks @Bob! @Jonathan you're right with the alphabet thing. Pronouncing words that start with "L" or "M" can be really confusing! Now that we are talking about it, I just might have to get the cassette tape I bought and try to find a cassette player somewhere! It's really cool stuff. Their is a magician friend of mine http://cardonethemagician.com/ and he does this card trick with a plastic jar. After someone selects a card the open jar starts speaking to him. It's his signature trick. he can throw his voice perfectly. It really sounds like someone is trapped inside this hand held plastic jar! The voice in the jar talks back to him, makes fun of him, and finally reveals what the selected card was.

Great job, Mario. :thumb: I was an aspiring magician as a kid. Got a lot of miles out of my Dante's Magic Set, as well as several other gimmicks I picked up along the way.

@Jonathan I'm glad you saw it! see what I'm talking about! crazy huh! I love that stuff. I'm gonna have to give it another go.

Thanks @Dave @Steve @Brent!

@Vaughn That Dante's Magic set sounds awesome! Dante was a phenomenal magician. A big part of magic history. I hope you still have it. Magician's go crazy for stuff like that. I love hearing stories of how magic at one time or another effects someones life. :)