Shed and Paver base

Mike Olson

I'm building a 10x24 shed/playhouse and my wife wants to put in a paver walkway to it from the patio so I don't make a mud pit like in front of our old shed. "in ~10 years it will be my workshop so i'm building it to house standards so it should last 30+ years"

So, the question is what type of base stone can i order that i can use for the walkway and also to put the shed on?

I was going to just order 10 - 50lb bags of crushed stone, dig 2" ditches where the 4x4's go and compact and level that, but with the walkway i didn't think i could just use crushed stone as a base, plus i will now need a whole lot more so i figure i'll get a dump truck load. What can i get that will compact well, provide a sturdy base, and allow me to level it easily?

Thanks,
Mike

There was a fellow woodworker on one of the web sites maybe here that used reclaimed crushed concrete as fill before putting in a concrete floor & said it packed real hard. Maybe someone else can add to this.

Here you go...http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23500&highlight=crushed+concrete Take note of Vaughn's Texas 2 sack method.

This all sounds fine but it's always been my preference to put plastic & a few inches of 3/4" or 5/8" gravel on top of the plastic. Set 8" block down just proud of the surface of the ground about 3" to set the shed floor frame on. You can space the block apart a bit they don't need to be right tight to each other depending on the structure.

Last edited:
Crushed rock without fines is a topping material. For a paver base or a solid structural base for your shed I would use a 5/8 or 3/4 minus. It will compact very well. Normal circumstances you would use 6" of depth for a good structural base, it all depends on your ground. You will have to evalulate your conditions to determine how much of the existing soil to remove. Suggest you rent a plate compactor.

Mike, my above reply was just to point out the differences between crushed rock and paver base or road base. There is a lot more to laying pavers than my reply mentioned. You also live in an area that has to take into account frost heave, which is not a problem for me.

My pavers sat on 1" of uncompacted sand, which sat on about 6" of compacted base material. There are certain tricks to all of this, like how to screed the base before compacting, screeding your sand base, setting your edging, what type of sand (or stone dust) to use between pavers (other than the 1" sand base), etc., that is beyond this format to explain. I suggest you talk with some local experts to help you through the entire process.