Rebuilding one of my old boats

Jeff Horton

I pulled an old boat out of the rafters to reskin. It was a very early boat I built. I have heard craftsman speak of how they would see something they did years ago and wish they could redo it. Not that I consider myself a craftsman yet, but I know that feeling! This was one I wanted to redo.

So I took it down, stripped off the skin and replaced a frame that I made wrong. While I was at it I decided to update the frame to my new style.

This was an early prototype and I discovered that the newest design of frames was not an exact fit. The quick simple job turned into more work than expected, but don't they always?

Here is frame finished, oiled and waiting on its new skin.

IMAG0364.jpg

Last couple of days I have been working on skinning it.

IMGP0633.JPG

IMAG0371.jpg

IMAG0374.jpg

With the skinning finished it was to seal the fabric. I like paint because I like color. I have been tossing an idea around in my head for some time now. It was a suggestion from a friend of mine as to how I should paint the boat.

I let the final product be a surprise but here is the base coat on the boat.I wasn't going to show what I was up to till I was finished but figured it can't hurt anything. I just finished putting on the base coat on the boat. Well not quite finished, it will need at least one more coat but tonight but I expect to finish. Tomorrow I will put it in the sun tomorrow and then Wednesday I can start working on the laying out the next color(s).

IMAG0392.jpg

IMAG0393.jpg

I like the way you tied the cloth in that rope pattern.
Now by "painting" did you use paint paint? or a colorant that is like a resin base for the final resin coat?

So how long does a paint job last?

(And why do I have a feeling you are doing something different with this paint job)...

Hard to answer Brent, never had paint fail. But it is going to be directly related to the care it receives. It sticks very well to the fabric so I am not worried about it coming off. If you keep it out of the weather and didn't rub it off by abusing it, I would say the life is going to be very long.

Plain ole oil based porch and deck enamel over a polyester skin. Paint will not stick to nylon... well not for long.

I guess this is what confused me, But it seems like a durable coating, even if paint doesn't stick to nylon? Am I missing something?

What Vaughn said.

If you use nylon there are only a few things that will stick to it and paint is not one of them. But the polyester will accept most anything including water based products.

What I would like to know is. Would it support my 315 lb carcass..... (I was going to say something else but trying to maintain a "G" rating) (wow. really dated myself with that rating....) Or do you have a fuselage framed submarine I could build?:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Jeff are you saying that those boats are water-worthy with just a polyester skin and oil based paint?

Yes I am! Lots of water time on this one. Polyester skin and this one actually has latex on it. But I won't use it again.

imgp8257_800_KCwatermark.jpg

What I would like to know is. Would it support my 315 lb carcass.....

Sure do. VARDO would do nicely.

relaunch_pr2_800_KCwatermark.jpg

Last edited:
Jeff, I liked the base coat with that rope twist. Gave the picture the illusion of buckskin and rope. My nephew in law (now living in Pheonix) has started a boat like yours, is not skinned yet. Looking good, are they "tippy"? I had one canoe that had a transom on the back, was AL and you couldn't flip the darn thing. Had another, a fiberglass one, if you well if you hicupped it would flip in a heartbeat!

Jeff, what do you use to crimp up (sew up?) those seams so they don't leak?

I don't think you can make one waterproof. But the waterproofing is applied over the seam and that takes care of 99% of it. If I have a little water in a boat, flip it upside down on the car it will usually drip a little at the seams. It is around the stitching and that is hard to seal perfectly.

...are they "tippy"?

Well it depends on the boat. Some are and some not so much. Each one is different and what you consider tippy someone else wouldn't give a second thought too. So it's a little subjective.

Jeff could I use something like that for this old boat. It has the original canvas on it still 1927. If I can use that fabric wil the paint fill in the fabric so not to see the texture ? I really would like to move on this.
You are the master of building boats and look forward to your finished product.

Attachments

• IMGA0601.JPG
    IMGA0601.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 20