Whats the difference with these oils?

Tom Baugues

I was at a flea market the other day just after I had finished turning a bowl project and was thinking about what finish I wanted to use on it when I found a guy selling these. He said that they were always kept in a dry basement. Each can has been opened and used but is still at least 3/4 full. Can these go bad? Whats the difference between tung oil and Danish oil? One can of the Danish oil is for (Black Walnut) and the other is (Natural). Oh...I paid $0.50 per can.:thumb: I saw the can of Brasso after I paid him so he threw that in for free.:D I once read something about using Brasso on something and always thought that if I came across some I would buy it. I still don't remember what I wanted it for but I have it if I ever remember.:dunno:

Attachments

• 100_0395 (Small).JPG
    100_0395 (Small).JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 40
The tung oil finish is a wipe-on varnish that may or may not actually have any tung oil in it. (Probably does have a bit.) The "natural" Danish Oil is a similar wipe-on varnish, and the "walnut" version is the same thing with some tint added.

These finishes can indeed go bad over time, especially if they have been opened. (Exposure to oxygen is how they cure.) In my experience, when they get too old, they get thicker in viscosity and also don't completely harden when they cure. I'd suggest trying them on a piece of scrap before committing them to an important project. ;)

The tung oil finish is a wipe-on varnish that may or may not actually have any tung oil in it. (Probably does have a bit.) The "natural" Danish Oil is a similar wipe-on varnish, and the "walnut" version is the same thing with some tint added.

These finishes can indeed go bad over time, especially if they have been opened. (Exposure to oxygen is how they cure.) In my experience, when they get too old, they get thicker in viscosity and also don't completely harden when they cure. I'd suggest trying them on a piece of scrap before committing them to an important project. ;)

+1 Listen to what he says. :thumb:

+2. Those "oils" that are packaged as "Danish Oil Finish", or those that have the word "Finish" are as Vaughn stated. They are basically a mix of an oil base varnish (resin), oil (most likely BLO), and mineral spirits. The "Tung Oil Finish" will likely have no Tung oil in it, but an oil like Soy oil.

Those oil finishes can be a stand alone finish, and work great when wiped on. The same type mixes can be a DIY, by mixing your own recipe. You can do thirds, which is what the packaged finishes are close to. Or you can generate a finish media that reacts differently, by changing the ratios. Less oil...more varnish...will dry faster and harder. Using naptha instead of mineral spirits will afford a faster dry. An advantage of making your own is that you can make any color you want, and have a fresh batch every time. Just use measuring cups or spoons and keep track of the ratios.

A true Tung oil will have on the label "Pure Tung oil", or "100% pure Tung oil".

masterlogo.jpg

movingplane1.gif

I was at a flea market the other day

Our County landfill has a recycling place where people drop off unwanted paint, varnish, Acetone etc. Whenever I go there I get a load of it. Some I have to throw away but most of it is usable. Have you priced paint thinner lately? I probably have saved a bundle of money that way.
As far as your can of Brasso goes, it reminds me of my days in the US Army.
We used to polish belt buckles etc with it.

DKT

There is a product called Japan drier you can add a drop or two to your mixture and it will quicken the drying time if you need it. I good varnish to mix with 100% tung oil is Damar varnish, Damar varsh is not cheap pre mixed but you can buy the damar crystals and make your own for about 50 cents a quart. A 1 pound bag is about 7 bucks. I use 1/3 tung 1/3 damar & 1/3 BLO. The damar quickens the drying time.

Jay 2 ways of avoiding a fire, keep a 5 gal. bucket of water around to depose of your rags or lay them out flat to dry.

Yep I do both.........:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

We had a new apartment complex burn to the ground a couple of years ago because the finishers through all their rags in the corner in a pile and went home after wiping Danish oil finish on trim............ These were...."experts" :huh::huh::doh::doh::dunno:

A few years back I was talking to Michael Dresdner & mentioned using the 1/3 mixture of BLO/Poly/Naptha & he said why would anyone want to use this mix because the BLO made for a softer less durable finish. Would mixing in more Poly & less
BLO change this? I have also heard it is better to use pure or 100% Tung oil does this work out to be a harder finish in the 1/3 mix than BLO?

Last edited:
A few years back I was talking to Michael Dresdner & mentioned using the 1/3 mixture of BLO/Poly/Naptha & he said why would anyone want to use this mix because the BLO made for a softer less durable finish. Would mixing in more Poly & less
BLO change this? I have also heard it is better to use pure or 100% Tung oil does this work out to be a harder finish in the 1/3 mix than BLO?

Bart, I'm not the most experienced woodworker, and some will disagree, but the short answer is YES.

I've been doing a lot of research on Tung Oil for an article I'm writing. Tung Oil is more expensive than BLO and takes longer to dry, but it's a more durable finish.

A trick I learned when I was finish woodwork and painting house was to save all your dirty thinners (paint and lacquer) in five gallon buckets, do not mix, once your bucket is full let it sit for a while and all of the pigments and stuff will settle to the bottom. Then carefully pour off the clear thinner on top and reuse it. Saved a lot of money. :twocents: :)

Jim I did thats for years alsoand used the recycled thinner for cleaning brushes.

BLO is one of the hardest finishes I have every had to strip after it has aged. the oil just gets harder and harder over time. In this area you'll find pieces thats are 200-250 years old and with original BLO finish still on them. Nut usually I will not strip but conserve something thats aged.