Experiment with Drying turned projects

Dan Mosley

I decided the last time i was turning (8/3) that I would try some experimenting on drying wet turned wood. Before I explain, I understand that there are many variables involved -wood-temp-thickness-RH etc..........

Ok - I just got in some NIP on 8/2 and turned the two vessels below in the pictures. Both were turned to approx 1/8 thickness and rough sanded only.
One was put into a mix of BLO/varnish/MS and left for 4 days. Then taken out and hand dried with paper towels and placed in side on the counter top to finish drying. It has been sitting out now for 2 days

One was rough sanded lightly - then with the lathe spinning at 1200 I sprayed the inside well with MS and used a blow gun to push the fluid thru the pores as best as i could. I did this twice and then put it wet into a brown paper bag and placed it inside. After 4 days I took it out and sat it on the counter top near the other one to watch them. It has been sitting out for same amount of time - 2 days

Time will tell what happens but so far so good and the moisture content on them is 7-10% on the soaked one and 6-9% on the MS spun one.

Attachments

• NIP Vase-2.jpg
    NIP Vase-2.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 32
  • NIP Vase-6.jpg
    NIP Vase-6.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 29
  • NIP Vase-5.jpg
    NIP Vase-5.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 25
First, let me say I love the shape... second, love the NIP... I haven't turned any myself yet, but just got three pieces a week or so back that was being spalted... I need to take them out of the bags and check them in the next day or so.... I may try your method of drying if they're very wet... may be had to check moisture though, I don't have a meter.. I know that Lowe's supposedly carries them, but haven't been up to look for one yet... last time I was there (last week) I forgot to look.

I use the microwave to dry some woods... works pretty good, but a little time consuming. I also use the lathe in a similar manner... I'll set a piece to spinning and let it spin for as long as I can... usually try to run it for 1/2 to hour at about 1800+ rpm... works on most woods... but not on the denser species.