New Tool Justification method

Rob Keeble

I got to thinking this morning about the difference i experienced in morning culture between what i lived with in SA and what i note happens in North America for many.

So i figured this provides opportunity for the justification for new tools on a monthy basis.

So here goes

N. America

1) Wake up light up a smoke + cost of smokes, lighter at what say 20 per day must be worth at least 7 to 8 bucks a day. That equals $210 per month.
2) Stop and drive through for coffee, forget the gas idling just the coffee thats $1.56 taking only a single morning stop thats another $46.80.

So i guess on this basis if i am one who does not smoke and prefer my instant coffee at home, then i got somewhere around $250 for a tool each month without even denting the family budget right.

Now i know how i can get those LV or LN planes without them even costing anyone a penny.:D

Heck would not take long to be able to buy a saw stop. Probably around 1 year of saving. Not bad.

If loml says what you doing spending the loot on tools i say would you rather i smoke and stop for coffee.:rofl:

I wonder if the LOML would buy that theory:huh: lets do some math here. HMMmmm, I quit smoking 21 1/2 years ago so that is $54,180.00 just in smokes:eek: new tools HECK NO I want an entire shop building WITH new tools:rofl::rofl::rofl: (doubt if she will go for it:eek::rofl::rofl::rofl:)

I'm in. That was Easy.

I have smoked three cigarettes in my entire life. They were when I was in the Marines WWII and bored out of my skull. So I think it is safe to say I have stopped smoking.

Myrna and I used to kill a six pack of beer a year. I am a celiac and had to quit many things, including beer. So I have stopped beer.

We would also kill a bottle or two of wine per year. Come to think of it, I haven't had a glass of wine for months so I guess I have already quit that too.

Now if I could just figure out where to put a new tool if I had one. I can't even go for the new shop mentioned previously. There is no place on our property to build one except areas where the ground is on a 45 degree slope.

Oh well---

Enjoy,
Jim

I have a 1 hp heavy 24/7 duty motor to give away. Come and get it.

Well when I find a tool I really want I start reading up on it in it's different variations models makes out loud off an on every once in a while until I get it narrowed down to one or two model/makes. Of course I explain all the aspects of the tool. After the first week or two the LOML knows I'm looking at a new tool. Pretty soon she has the jargon down & understands the differences between models & understands why I have picked out what I think are the top 2-4 picks.

Lately oh the past year I've bounced between making a lathe & buying a lathe not long ago she said I think you should buy a lathe when we get into our own place (why) because you will want to make flat work things for the house & shop & won't have time to build a lathe. So I picked out what I think will do all the types of turning I'll ever want to do.

I didn't start out doing this on purpose & still don't but I do realize it works.

Attachments

• g0698.jpg
    g0698.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 16
It is not tobacco, coffee or booze that keeps you from acquiring all the new tools you desire, but women. No not the "loose" kind, but the ones that settle you down and make you "responsible". You go from buying motorcycles, boats and tools to a house, plants and window treatments. Before that women got a hold of you where was window treatments on your list of must have?

I realized all of this just recently when a new neighbor moved in next door. The house next to ours is rented as the owners live in CA. Last month, in one day while the wife and I were out of the house, this neighbor moved in. We came home and I could see two motorcycles (Goldwing and a BMW), three bicycles, three boats (kayak, large inflatable river boat and a large wooden river boat) and the garage full of hiking and camping equipment. I have no idea what other goodies he has stored in the house.

My wife not seeing a women, says maybe his wife is coming later. I look at her like she is a mad women and tell her that there is no way this guy has a wife and has all these "toys". I know because I use to be this guy.

This weekend as I worked in the yard digging, my neighbor and a buddy drove off on the motorcycles. I would have been envious, but I no time because I had window treatments to help hang.

I'm in. That was Easy.

I have smoked three cigarettes in my entire life. They were when I was in the Marines WWII and bored out of my skull. So I think it is safe to say I have stopped smoking.

Myrna and I used to kill a six pack of beer a year. I am a celiac and had to quit many things, including beer. So I have stopped beer.

We would also kill a bottle or two of wine per year. Come to think of it, I haven't had a glass of wine for months so I guess I have already quit that too.

Now if I could just figure out where to put a new tool if I had one. I can't even go for the new shop mentioned previously. There is no place on our property to build one except areas where the ground is on a 45 degree slope.

Oh well---

Enjoy,
Jim

I have a 1 hp heavy 24/7 duty motor to give away. Come and get it.

Jim, you really need to get a handle on those habits. :rofl::rofl:

I will respond to that.
I do not have the faintest idea how my parents accomplished this.
Background: My father smoked a pack or two of cigarettes a day. He drank a fair amount of wine and had an occasional hard drink.

However, he convinced me that smoking and drinking were stupid so I missed that part of high school, military, and college life. This was definitely a case of do what I say, don't do what I do. With my mom it was simpler, she just would not have approved. She was a great lady and I just would have been a turkey if I disappointed her.

Oh yes, my mother was also one heck of a shot and I was too young to die.

Go to the range with dad and shoot and be buddy with the police.
Go to the range with my dad and mother and all of the police suddenly had urgent business somewhere else. She could empty the joint in 5 minutes flat.

Enjoy,
Jim

Bill, you are a wise, wise man. :D

I got off easy. My wife is proud to be a cheap date and isn't much into decorating, but still...I remember the "man days" well. :rolleyes:

Hmmm...I quit smoking over 10yrs ago and chewing about 3yrs ago. I decided to spend the extra $$ on more cold beer!:eek: :rofl::D:rofl: You gotta have at least one vice, right?

I've been able to get by on hammy down and cheaper tools so far, but recently my frustration with some of the tools I have has made me start to save some of that beer money for some real upgrades...:)

I love a good cigar now and then, more then than now recently as I'm busy, and a good cigar is NOT to be rushed. I seldom drink, no time, and I've always been a social drinker, I could drink everyday for free if I wanted, lots of free samples etc from various makers etc, but I don't have the time for a hang over!

Justifying a tool, never happens, if I need it I buy it, end of story :thumb:

"Brown" shows up every two or three days whether I want him to or not.

I'm going to get my "window treatments" after my dining room table...one way or another. Actually I'm thinking we need to completely replace our windows and since we never lower the blinds (because of where we live)...maybe just forgo the treatments (which actually are fairly new, but we never use them because they are always up).

Can't win :rofl::rofl::rofl: