Thread: Rail and Stile

Rail and Stile

OK I need little help figuring out rail and stile widths. The face frame will be 1 1/4" so what should I make the door rail and stiles? I am thinking somewhere around 1 1/2"

This is on a chimney cupboard of sorts. So it will be taller than wide. Main cabinet is figuring out around 22" x 84". I have a hole to hit so stuck with the 22" somewhat because of the cove molding. First time I have ever figured the very top and worked down.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

Try this software...it is free and has an enormous library free online.

I have not used it yet, but just been playing with it. It looks like it is what you are looking for.

http://www.ecabinetsystems.com/
    Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!

The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because they are generally the same people.

Steve I normally use an 1-1/2" stile on my face frames and a 2-1/4 stile and rail on the doors. If you are using a 3/8 cutter for the depth of the panel groove size your panel 3/8 wider than its opening, if you are using 1/2" panel groove then make the panel 5/8 wider than its opening. this is when using 1/4" spaceballs or the ones I get from woodworkers hardware.
    My face frame rails vary depending on the application, ie moldings, undercabinet lighting etc.
    The cabinets in the cherry kitchen I have posted are those proportions. They have a 3" top rail and 2" bottom rail on the ff with 1-1/2" stiles.

hope that helps

Dom, that is the second time today I have seen that software. Strange thing it is done by Thermwood. They are right down the road.

Thanks Rich. I mocked it up real quick and got approved for 1 3/4. So off we go.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.