Dust Collector Modification

Jim DeLaney

Staff member
By now, I guess most of us have seen the ads for the 'new' Jet DC system with the baffle between the upper and lower bags/filter & bag.

Essentially, it's an upside-down bowl that's suspended just below center.

When I checked, Jet wouldn't sell the parts to modify older DCs. (That may have changed by now.)

Anyway, I ran across this article in Popular Woodworking's "Editor's Blog" that had exactly what I needed, so I began looking for a wok to use. Seeing them for 30~40 bucks kinda discouraged me, but yesterday I found one for FIVE BUCKS (!) at IKEA, so I bought it. I installed it last night. Took about half an hour (after taking at least that long to clean out the DC first...:rolleyes: ) and it works quite well.

Prior to installing it, I had what looked like a small whirlwind in the lower bag, and had a lot of dust go to the upper bag, and then drop down onto the metal shelf between upper and lower when I shut the DC off.

Now, there's hardly any turbulence in the lower bag, and essentially nothing going up into the upper bag. The modification was CHEAP and apparently quite successful.

I didn't take any pictures of mine, but it loos exactly like the pics in the referenced article (except that my DC is a 2hp Penn State model).

Interesting idea. I hadn't seen the article. Sort of similar to the Thien baffle, but with a few differences. :thumb:

I have seen that earlier. I was wondering how hard it is to put the band clamp that holds the bag once the wok is in place or do you drop it in the bag, put the bag in place, and then put the wok in place?

Rex, the bowl is inside the "ring" of the DC, and the bags and clamps go on the outside. They would go on exactly the same way with the wok or without.

Seeing them for 30~40 bucks kinda discouraged me, but yesterday I found one for FIVE BUCKS (!) at IKEA, so I bought it. I installed it last night. Took about half an hour (after taking at least that long to clean out the DC first...:rolleyes: ) and it works quite well.

Jim,
Thanks for the info.

Is this the one?
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10112375

It's the only CHEEP one I found at Ikea!

That's pretty cool mod... I wonder if it would improve any the suction of my HF DC... I don't have the filters at the top, mine uses the two bags, top and bottom and since both are a sort of canvas, I can't see what the dust is doing... my lower bag I put a contractor's garbage bag inside the canvas bag to collect the dust... then just toss the contractor bag... My DC is also out side my shop in a separate closet/outhouse at the end of the shop so I don't get much dust back inside anyway.

Vaughn helped me with a Phil Thien baffle, which I have in my Delta DC. Works quite nicely, similar idea to yours Jim like Vaughn said. Thanks for posting it.

What interesting use did you find for the handle???

Haven't yet, but it's laying there on the bench, just waiting for 'inspiration.' :D

Oh no! It's not available online. I'll have to go get it!! The horrors!!

Only problem with that is that every time I for for one thing, I end up buying half a dozen more. :rolleyes:

BTW, they've got the best prices anywhere for MR-16 lightbulbs, and also the three ply dinner napkins. :thumb: :D

Ok I looked again at the pics and see the band is on the outside of that unit. I have a 1 hp jet and the band is on the inside.

Ah, that explains it. :doh:I didn't realize that's how the 1 hp Jet was put together. Glad to see you're not as confused as I thought you were, too. :D