Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grandsons bed

Amherst, New Hampshire

Grandsons bed

I've got to get this done. My grandson (he's 3) keeps calling me and asking for his big boy bed
    Between summer yard york, the garden, toy swap, a couple of smaller projects, my friend passing away, and my wifes knee replacement surgery I haven't been able to spend as much time in the shop as I normally do.

Anyway it's received the final sanding and is almost ready for finish. I just have to clean up a few mortises and tenons and fix a few of the chamfers I messed up. I went through a period where everything I touched I screwed up by making real rookie mistakes. I kept tools out of my hands for a week or so and finally got my head back into it

It's made of locally harvested sugar maple. I really like the guy I buy my wood from. Even buying common grade 80% of it is really beautiful. I think the maple cost me $2.60bf.

The pictures are from before I did the final sanding. The headboard is clamped together just to double check the fit and the footboard is reddy to sand and stain.
    The bed posts were fun to make. The new bandsaw really made my life easier. The finials were fun to make as well. I need to replace my cove bit though because it tended to burn the maple quite a bit. It's probably time I think I'ts 15 years old. I've attempted to sharpen it a few times but it's pretty obvious to me I have a lot of learning to do.

The picture is from the plans and hopefully mine will look as good. I do have to admit though I'm pretty pleased with how it's come out so far. I think I've used every power tool in the shop except for my lathe. Planer, jointer, TS, mortising machine, router table, sanding center, drill press and band saw. Thanks Mr. Edison for inventing electricity

My PC ro sander has seen better days. It's probably 10 -15 years old and has been a workhorse. But it's starting to give up the ghost. I jury rig it up to my dust deputy.It does a real good job of keeping the dust down in my basement shop.

My grand daughter Abby surprised me in the shop one evening with a couple of cherry popsicles. She thought I was hot and she would join me in a treat. Needless to say she managed to drip a few drops on the headboard. Most of it sanded out. I hope the finish will cover it but if not I'll just make it the back side of the bed.

Haven't decided on a finish yet. I'll stain it to darken it up a bit but I'm unsure on the best finish. After a few great pointers from Larry and Rob's thread on his spray booth I'm thinking of giving spraying a try. Never done it before though. That's why I was interested in Dan's state fair table finish. Seems to me every time I make a large project I try a different method. Since I absolutely hate the finishing process I really need to find a simple tried and true easy method

Here are a few pictures. As usual comments and suggestions both good and bad are really appreciated. That's how I get to be a better woodworker.

Attachment 58785

Attachment 58786

Attachment 58787

Attachment 58788

Attachment 58789

Attachment 58790

Attachment 58791

Attachment 58792
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    That's going to be beautiful, Gramps. You're the best. Can I get a big-girl bed?
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Kansas City, Missouri
    Looking good!

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

North West Indiana
    Another fantastic project for a family member that will genuinely enjoy the present. I remember when my mom found on the wall of my bunkbed the names of girls I thought belonged on a list. She was furious then, now, she laughs about it! Wish she had found the humor back then before she paddled me!
    So, if he does something dumb like that, it's his, those are the scars he will remember and makes it his personal bed.
    Way to go Gramps, making lasting memories!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    God and family, the rest is icing on the cake.

I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place.

Premier Bovine Scatologist

Los Angeles, CA
    Have your camera ready when you first show it to him. Like him, I can't wait to see it all finished up.
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

Central NY State
    Looking great Bob. Sure to be an heirloom for the young lad.

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Nice work Bob , & good to see Abby getting in on the stain selection process ...that, or,...she knows a cherry always tops off a good thing ...looking forward to the end results

Cape Cod, Ma.
    Looks great Bob! It's really coming together nicely!!

ABQ NM
    That maple is gonna look great with some finish on it. Nice work so far, Bob.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Delton, Michigan
    looks good bob,, if you do stain that bob it should help to hide it,, but mabe you could try to bleach it a little with some oxalic acid ?? dave would be a better person to ask to see if you can get it out its a water base dye if it came from a popsicle..gonna be fun to see it completed!!
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!