Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: outrageous pricing

outrageous pricing

Today, 8-9-11
    Galvanized lag screw, 3/8 by 3 inch

Lowes-$1.40 each, $1.12 if you purchase box of 50
    Ace Hardware-85 cents each, no discount for quantity
    McFeeleys-50 cents each.

It really pays to shop around even for the smallest thing.

Bob Wiggins is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Mr. Wiggins' initial post is under review. His response to a moderator request to edit his initial post follows:

If someone with the authority will strike my email address from the records of this site I'll be gone.
    Last edited by ken werner; 08-10-2011 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Violation of CofC

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    Today, 8-9-11
    Galvanized lag screw, 3/8 by 3 inch

Lowes-$1.40 each, $1.12 if you purchase box of 50
    Ace Hardware-85 cents each, no discount for quantity
    McFeeleys-50 cents each.

It really pays to shop around even for the smallest thing.
    It sure does, but is getting harder to find reasonable prices..

There's a fastener specialty store about 75 minutes drive from me. They sell fasteners by the pound, including lag bolts, all sorts of machine bolts, stainless, nuts, you name it. I try to get there once or twice a year just to stock up on the various hardware I'm likely to need. Unfortunately, I probably spend more maintaining an inventory, than I would buying individual bolts, but I hate to spend a buck for a single bolt at the borg...

Torx head deck screws there cost about $6 a pound, instead of over $10.

And yes, McFeely's is where I go for almost all of my smaller woodworking screws, great quality and very fair prices.

The price difference might be due to manufacturer location ie: China vs US. Grade of lag the same?
    Last edited by Jonathan Shively; 08-10-2011 at 03:02 AM.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

I dont think its a matter of where its made John. This is a pet peeve for me. Our Home Depot thinks we are a captive market and look to make margins on the bolt and screws that are obscene. Its their version of what convenience shopping costs.
    We have a group here called Brafasco and i go down to their store and do what Ken does stock up. They supply the serious contractors and the quality of their stuff beats the borg junk in my view and at much reduced prices.
    If i want convenience i support my local small hardware guy. i would rather pay his premiums and help keep him going.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    cheers

Lot of factors go into pricing. But it really boils down to free enterprise.
    A business owner invested and risked his money to make profit and income for himself and family. I see nothing wrong with charging whatever the market will bear. If he is overpriced customers will go elsewhere and he will go broke.
    I literally have a couple buckets of screws and 'stuff' I have never used. In many cases it is more economical to pay the high single item price than purchase quantities on-line at lower per unit prices and have 998 screws, or whatever, left over when the project is completed.
    I just got back from a local hardware store with a few needed items. I probably paid more than from a BORG but I got what I needed with friendly service. To me, that has value.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Id like to state, that I do not have any problems with the Lowes in Garden City NY. I believe their service is top notch, and I always can get help within a minute.
    their appliance dept is top notch and they deliver as promised next day and their prices are always inline with everyone else.(Ive always found their appliances less expensive)
    This is what suprised me so much with the bolts.
    (and they have a great inventory and I usually find what I want there.)

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Lot of factors go into pricing. But it really boils down to free enterprise.
    A business owner invested and risked his money to make profit and income for himself and family. I see nothing wrong with charging whatever the market will bear. If he is overpriced customers will go elsewhere and he will go broke.
    I literally have a couple buckets of screws and 'stuff' I have never used. In many cases it is more economical to pay the high single item price than purchase quantities on-line at lower per unit prices and have 998 screws, or whatever, left over when the project is completed.
    I just got back from a local hardware store with a few needed items. I probably paid more than from a BORG but I got what I needed with friendly service. To me, that has value.

I totally agree Frank. If someones prices are too high go somewhere else. Everyone has a right to a profit.
    I needed about 20 #10 x 1 1/2" screws for the bed rail fasteners on the bed I'm making. The local hardware store sold them for .28 each but had a box of 65 for $3.99. HD was about $5.00 for 25.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

There likely is a difference in quality, but perhaps not what you think based on price. Most reviews find rather small differences among things tested, but not a review a few years back, I think by Woodworking Magazine (since combined with Popular Woodworking.)

They tested 3" screws by screwing them into hard maple without a pilot hole, admittedly an unreasonable task but a good test of strength. 100% of the BORG screws failed. 0% of the Mcfeely's screws failed, and they were the lowest cost option. Other screws like Spax also survived.