Scotch-Brite Pads

mike marvel

When doing light sanding or abrading there are times that a synthetic microfiber pad like Scotch-Brite would be a better choice over sandpaper or any of the "wools". They can be used by hand, or with a block, or just add it to a ROS (random orbit sander) that has a sanding disk already on it, as it will stick to the sandpaper. Here is a chart with the pad color and it's sanding grit equivalent.

masterlogo.jpg

movingplane1.gif

Thank you for this Mike. I actually used this stuff on my vanity for the first time.

My only issue is that the numbers shown dont always appear with the product and in my case I only had one gray among my bunch of white maroon green and grey.

Here on this list for the first time i see three shades of grey referred to and the grit change is significant. Its one of the reasons i was hesitant to use my grey because when i tried it as a scuffing agent between coats of enduro i felt it was being too rough.

Do you have any ideas on how to tell which is which. Whats light grey to some is grey to others ditto for dark grey. For a company like 3M you would think they would have made another color.

I love using the 3M pads on my turnings as they help remove any concentric scratches I may have left with regular sandpaper. The irregular placement of the grit on the pads creates a completely different scratch pattern and saves me a lot of time.

I also cut discs of various sizes from the pads to be held with my hook and loop pads and power sand with the 3M material. It really puts a good finish on the wood. Just like sandpaper don't sand at high drill or lathe speed.

Last edited:
Good chart Mike, I use the red pads mostly but the white pads for buffing out oil projects. I fix one to a random sander and then make up a comet and thinner solution to a paste and go at it. Works great for smoothing out before waxing.

Good chart Mike, I use the red pads mostly but the white pads for buffing out oil projects. I fix one to a random sander and then make up a comet and thinner solution to a paste and go at it. Works great for smoothing out before waxing.

Maybe just a difference in our finishing techniques, but I wouldn't use wax on anything. IMO, it doesn't last very long, and would need periodic application, and offers little to no protection. Using it precludes any further finishing, other than just more wax. I prefer finishes that are maintenance free.

I also make a practice of not using any wax or silicone products in the shop especially near areas used for finishing. This includes not using those products on machinery or tools used for processing wood. Some shop contaminations can never be eliminated.

masterlogo.jpg

movingplane1.gif

Mike wax on period furniture is keeping with the tradition. I am a traditionalist in the true scene of the word when it comes to conservation and preservation. But with the majority of the finishes I use on normal every day furniture you right. in staying away from wax. It's not needed.
Anything with silicon that is used in the homes on furniture I tell my customers , them products keep me in business. LOL

mike where is a source for the different shade you showed us in the chart? i have used the standard colors that we all find at the wood shows or such but your chart shows more choices that i have never seen..

Mike the selection and color of abrasive they have only shows one grey like i understood until you posted the list at the beginning of this post.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Mike the selection and color of abrasive they have only shows one grey like i understood until you posted the list at the beginning of this post.

I can't solve that problem for you. The chart is complete...I can't help that. Maybe you can contact 3M and find out which grey you have. Or, find a color of one of the grey's online, and check it for yours.

On the chart on the right side, you'll see an aggressive determination to abrasiveness. I would guess that light or medium might feel differently in degrees of abrasiveness to the other colors (like the ones you do have).

masterlogo.jpg

movingplane1.gif

When I go to a auto restoration supply store to get 3M they mostly carry the carbide pads. When I ask at a furniture supply shop they mostly carry the oxide pads.
Another place to order a bit more complete http://www1.mscdirect.com/eCommerce...oZ77cie?cm_re=Category-_-BodyLink-_-Hand+Pads
3M

Brand : 3M Remove
Abrasive Type

Coated (8) | Non-Woven (2)
Abrasive Material

Aluminum Oxide (3) | Diamond (8)
Grit (Micron)

10 (2) | 20 (1) | 30 (1) | 40 (1) | 74 (1) | 125 (1) | 250 (1)
Grade

Extra Fine (3) | Fine (1) | Medium (2) | Super Fine (2) | Very Fine (3)
Pad Color

Black (1) | Blue (2) | Green (1) | Maroon (1) | Purple (1) | Red (1) | Tan (1) | White (1) | White; Yellow (1) | Yellow (1)
Width/Diameter (Inch)

2-1/4 (8) | 4 (1) | 6 (2)
Overall Length (Inch)

3-3/4 (8) | 8 (1) | 9 (2)
Pad Shape

Rectangle (10)
Abrasive Pattern

Open Dot (8)

Last edited:
When I go to a auto restoration supply store to get 3M they mostly carry the carbide pads. When I ask at a furniture supply shop they mostly carry the oxide pads.
Another place to order a bit more complete http://www1.mscdirect.com/eCommerce...oZ77cie?cm_re=Category-_-BodyLink-_-Hand+Pads
3M

Brand : 3M Remove
Abrasive Type

Coated (8) | Non-Woven (2)
Abrasive Material

Aluminum Oxide (3) | Diamond (8)
Grit (Micron)

10 (2) | 20 (1) | 30 (1) | 40 (1) | 74 (1) | 125 (1) | 250 (1)
Grade

Extra Fine (3) | Fine (1) | Medium (2) | Super Fine (2) | Very Fine (3)
Pad Color

Black (1) | Blue (2) | Green (1) | Maroon (1) | Purple (1) | Red (1) | Tan (1) | White (1) | White; Yellow (1) | Yellow (1)
Width/Diameter (Inch)

2-1/4 (8) | 4 (1) | 6 (2)
Overall Length (Inch)

3-3/4 (8) | 8 (1) | 9 (2)
Pad Shape

Rectangle (10)
Abrasive Pattern

Open Dot (8)

That site doesn't show any grey's that I found or the actual color of the pads they listed. Rob is still out of luck.

masterlogo.jpg

movingplane1.gif

Last edited:
It may not have the color shown but you need to read the grade chart in correlation with the color chart. Then check the #'s listed to each grade and color for roughness. Rob dose know how to follow a chart. :rofl:

Just bumping this up. I recently bought some boxes of maroon, grey and white to use. I like to buy in bulk and found this thread very helpful!