This Week's "What is it?"

#915 could be a cannoneers sighting device. #920 is a shot dipper as for lead shot to be loaded in a muzzle loading shotgun.

I was thinking in more general terms about 915a - 915b. I figure they're inclinometers, whether for engineering, plumbing or gunning as you say.

If anyone knows was 920 is, I guess you would :) I was thinking it was for gunpowder - can I get 1/2 a point for being in the ballpark ?

I was thinking in more general terms about 915a - 915b. I figure they're inclinometers, whether for engineering, plumbing or gunning as you say.

If anyone knows was 920 is, I guess you would :) I was thinking it was for gunpowder - can I get 1/2 a point for being in the ballpark ?

No, you get a full point. When used for muzzle loading shotguns, a good rule of thumb for proper loads is equal volume of black powder to shot. So the dipper/measure is a combo tool.
Now, the safety fanatic in me must emphasize that I said "EQUAL VOLUME". That is NOT weight. And it is with genuine black powder only, not modern smokeless powders. I read of far too many accidents where folks foolishly use modern smokeless powders in old, or old-style muzzle loading firearms. But I digress.

Hey Frank

Never hurts to get the safety message out there. I'm the same way myself - ask Stu :eek:

Okay, before they post the answers, I'm gonna take a couple of guesses.

917 looks like a set of folding attic stairs - with a handrail

919 these springs look like they're for mounting something on a moving vehicle or perhaps a horse. I'm gonna go way out on a limb and say that they are mounts for holding flowers on a hearse.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it ;)

The first two are surely levels of some sort, but they look like they can be attached to something else, something you would have on hand, or something that you could make on site.

916 looks like a tool, maybe something given away with the makers mark on it........? A tool for what, if that is hard steel, not soft, I'd say something for adjusting stuff, like...... oh man that thing just looks so familar..... looks like you would hold it with two fingers......around something.........ah...... maybe something to straighten out a bent rod of some sort...?

917 has to be attic stairs, but for a doll house :huh:

918 is a can opener, my Grama had one like that, the metal bit was SHARP and us kids were never to use it. Hers was a bit larger, for opening big cans of stuff like tomatoes etc.

919.........? Man, that one has me stumped..... candle holders that cannot fall over....? :huh: Naw too compex..... Home made pojo sticks?
How about something like they were the suspension on a buggy seat........ but you would want four then........ :huh:

Great, now this will go round and round in my head all night.... :rolleyes: :wave:

920 :: I figured that was a black powder scoop - never thought about shot as I've never done BP shotgun, just ball.

919 :: flag holders for parade flags on carriages or early autos?

918 : dunno - ya got me!

917 :: folding attic stair set - I've used a set of these in my youth

916 :: dunno again - doh!

915's :: I guessed devices for levelling survey or photography equipment - a bit small for artillery?

How'd we do??

EDIT ::: not too good ...:(

Last edited:
Other than the levels, I was way off base on this batch. To my credit, I did notice the second level looked like it attached to a straightedge or ruler. Good set this week. ;)