A tale of two planes

ken werner

A friend of mine posted on a local internet community site that he was putting three planes outside at the end of his driveway for anyone to take. I was there about 5 minutes after my wife saw the posting.

The third plane was a recent Stanley, and I left it for someone else.

The second plane is a Dunlap sized No. 3, nice japanning hardwood with some nice cracking in the varnish but good wood. No fore/aft adjusting bolt, and lots of surface rust. It's not as nice as an old Stanley, but it should be quite serviceable if fettled. I am offering it here for free, you pay the shipping.

The first plane I saw, I grabbed right up. It looked like a Stanley No. 6, but didn't say Stanley anywhere. I took it home, and cleaned it gently. Turns out it is a Type 6: 1888-1892. The tote is hardwood, must've been replaced at some point, and the blade looks like a later replacement also. But the adjuster knob has the correct patent dates, as does the lateral lever [first introduced in T6.]

I contacted my friend and offered the plane back to him. It was probably his great grandfather's. He was a pattern maker. The plane, I am happy to report will return to its family.

Anyway, the first person to claim the Dunlap No.3 plane, via PM, will get it.

Attachments

• IMG_7872.JPG
    IMG_7872.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 41
Nice little plane, that Dunlap #3. Dunlap was Sears 'homeowner' series of tools back in the late fifties or so (as opposed to the Craftsman 'professional' series). They're pretty good planes, and that one should clean up nicely to make a good user for someone.

I've posted a couple accounts of resurrections/restorations in the recent past that the new owner could use as tutorials. Ever thought about trying one yourself, Ken? :D

I've posted a couple accounts of resurrections/restorations in the recent past that the new owner could use as tutorials. Ever thought about trying one yourself, Ken? :D

I have thought of it Jim, but there are already so many good tutorials out there. Do you think another step by step plane rehab would be useful here?

The #3 is still available folks...

I have thought of it Jim, but there are already so many good tutorials out there. Do you think another step by step plane rehab would be useful here?...

Actually, I meant YOU should try rehabbing one yourself, Ken.

The tutorials remark was meant for a new, inexperienced, owner if one takes you up on your offer.

jim i think he has done that on a few occasions already:) from what i have seen in his shop:) he doesnt always get the roses,, he sometimes has to pick a few weeds first:)

I'm glad someone did, because if this had gone on much longer, I would have been compelled to do so myself, and the last thing I need right now is to bring more tools in the the clutterdom I call a shop... :thumb: