The Pergola Is Up

scott spencer

Earlier in the summer I revamped our deck and built a patio area. This week I added a 16'x 19' pergola. The main structure is built, but I plan to add another tier of smaller cross members on top, and will build a decorative arch in front between the posts and main beam. The main structure is made from pressure treated 2x material (2"x6"x16', 2"x8"x19', with 6"x6" posts), so it will need to be stained or clear coated sometime in the not-so-distant future. I'm also going to add some landscape stone at the base of the support posts to make them look more like columns. Right now it still looks like a construction site...there's a bunch of cleanup and landscaping to be done to the whole area, but I'll probably wait for cooler weather....too darn hot this summer!
16x16_smiley-sad.gif
I'll update with more pics once the decorative details are done. Guess I'll be building furniture for it next summer!

pergola002.jpg

pergola003.jpg

pergola006.jpg

pergola004-1.jpg

Sweet! That pergola is enormous! :thumb: :thumb:

Any plans for putting any kind of shade material on the top? Just curious.

wisteria would be nice but so would trumpet vine and the hummers would love him for it:) nice job scott on those curves and the round over on the posts add a nice touch as well:thumb::thumb:

Thanks gang. No plans to use a fabric material overhead that I'm aware, but we have talked about vines or plants of some sort. That usually boils down to a "yes dear" situation unless I hate what she's planning! :wedding:

LOML saw yours and said she wants one with trumpet vines and hummingbirds. I added it to the list.:)

Ron - It's a fairly simple project, and requires a bit of grunt work. Roughly 10-16 hours, and ~ $250 for what you see in the pics. All and all, not a bad project. Tell her you'll do it in exchange of a shoulder rub! :thumb:

Thanks again everyone.

Update with new pics

A couple of weeks ago I posted about getting the main pergola structure up. Since then I've added stone to the base of the columns, an upper tier of 1x4 cross members, some trim molding, and mounted the finial brackets. Other than eventually adding some natural stain, I'm done. Maybe I'll build some furniture for it next year!

pergola003-1.jpg
pergola001-1.jpg
pergola005-1.jpg
pergola011.jpg
pergola007-2.jpg
pergola006-1-1.jpg