Thread: Smoking ....

Wink Smoking ....

For all of you BBQ Smokers out there.

Have you seen this?

PitMaster Iq110

I saw it on an Alton Brown BBQ special last night. Basically, it will convert your charcoal grill into a precisely temperature controlled smoker. One small pile of charcoal will keep the BBQ at 235 degrees for about 8 hours.

For something like a weber grill, you attach it to one of the vents at the bottom of the grill, block off the other 2 vents, dial up your desired temp, and lite a small pile of charcoal. This unit uses a fan to provide the optimal amount of airflow through the grill to keep the fire going a low temp for a long time.

They have adapters for Big Green eggs and other cookers as well.

It's a bit pricey and apparently they are swamped with orders now that Alton Browns show has come out, but I'll be the guinea pig for this one. I think it overloaded their website as it's no longer taking orders, but I called them up directly and placed an order this morning...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Interesting...Does it blow air in the vent then?
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Yep. When the temp drops, it speeds up the fan, when the temp gets too hot, it slows it down.

You don't light all the coals at once either. You put a pile in there and use a little paraffin tab to get 3 to 5 coals going, and it takes it from there...

You could probably rig something up to do the same thing with an arduino and a little fan. But this is already ready already...

I mean don't get me wrong, I love playing with fire and my side box smoker, but I always feel a little odd firing up that big thing for just one rack of ribs, so usually make my ribs on the weber. They turn out ok at 300 degrees for 3 hours, but i'd really like to do them a little lower and slower...
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.

Chuck Rodekohr use's something like that on his Weber and swears by it. I can't remember whats brand he has but I know he can watch the temps from his laptop and from the sounds of everyone in the back round when I Skype him it works GREAT. (makes me hungry anyway)
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

One word, CHEATING
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you don’t know what tool to buy next, then you probably don’t need it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Southwood View Post
    One word, CHEATING
    Alls fair in BBQ and War!

I love playing with fire and doing the big smoker, but it seems like overkill for a single slab of ribs.

And I have to check the fire every 20-30 minutes

Can't wait for my buddy brown to drop it off...

I think this is for guys who can't cook lol
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hawksford View Post
    I think this is for guys who can't cook lol
    Aint true, it's for us computer guys that cook and want to do more than tend a fire all day...

Get a pellet smoker...still real wood and don't have to tend the fire all day. Very easy cleanup too, just use the shop vac.

Looking forward to your review.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault