Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop Tour *LOTS OF PICS*

Shop Tour *LOTS OF PICS*

Hi folks,

Being a great fan of shop tours who can spend hours and hours looking at the photos of other woodworker’s shops I’d like to invite you to a tour through my shop. I’ll will also add a few links to some of the manufacturers of the equipment I own as you might be interested in the stuff that is used in my neck of the woods.
    "My" shop isn’t exclusively used by me but also by other members of my family. I’m not really enthused about this because some members of family don't seem to share my passion for keeping the shop clean and organized. Nevertheless, this is the "family woodworking" board so here’s my "family workshop".
    Basically, I work in two rooms.

Room No.1:
    This is not a shop but a multi-purpose room. Many years ago (I was a young boy at this time with way less tools), it had been used as a shop. Then it was turned into a (chunk and old stuff) storage room. Today, it’s still being used to store stuff in there but last year, when I bought a few stationary machines I just had to adopt it to a "part-time workshop".
    I placed my dust collector and my bandsaw in this room. The recently purchased compressor found its place on a shelf next to the dust collector.
    As you can see from the pictures, I drilled and chiselled a hole into a wall. A buddy of mine was kind enough to lend me his Hilti TE 16 rotary hammer drill. The "real shop" is located on the other side of this wall. The 120 mm dia suction hose will be replaced with a aluminium pipe as soon as possible. The hole dust collection system should finally look like this: Short 160 mm dia hose from the dust collector to the pipe, pipe through the hole in the wall, long 120 mm dia suction hose on the other end of the pipe, hooked up to tools.

This is my Schuko Profi S 3 dust collector and my small Kaeser air compressor on the shop-built rack:

I only need to loosen three screws in order to remove the compressor from the shelf. At approx. 65 lbs the compressor it still a portable unit.

Close-up pictures of the dust collector:

Close-up pictures of the compressor and its rack:

My Hema Garant 400 (16") bandsaw. Hema is probably the most reputable (German) manufacturer of bandsaws in Europe. The Garant types are actually made in Italy and fine-tuned by Hema in Germany. Fine-tuning means that Hema adds the APA bandsaw guides, Hema bandsaw wheels etc. Hema also offers several bandsaws made by themselves in Germany but those were way out of my budget.

The mobile base for the ~ 350 lbs bandsaw is shop-made:

Room No. 2 – the "real" shop:

These two photos give you an idea what the shop looked like a few years ago:

Most recently taken pictures (I shouldn’t have taken them before I cleand up):

So what’s new?

First, I installed a some simple shelves where I store all kind of wood (parts of handrails, parquet floor cut-offs etc.), tool cases, Systainers, guide rails (for my Festool saw and router) and clamps.
    Currently, I’m already in the process of planning a cabinet that should be mounted instead of the shelves.

The clamp rack looks "ugly" in the photo but I already improved it.

Next, I replaced the poor-looking shelf (actually, it wasn’t only poor-looking it was really poor) above the three cabinets with a cabinet built from melamine laminated particle board.
    Cutting and edge-banding were outsourced, I only installed the hinges, drilled the shelf pin holes, "biscuited” the joints, routed rabbets …

I filled the gaps between the cabinet and the walls with small stripes of melamine laminated particle board (sorry, no photo).

Lots of different stuff is stored in this cabinet. I built boxes from cheap pine plywood in order to keep things organized.

Another important improvement was the installation (French cleat) of OSB tool boards. Apparently, there’s still some empty space where I can store chisels (above the screw drivers), hand planes (above the workbench) and clamps (next to the clamps).

Finally, I had to have a jointer and a planer. In Europe, single machines are very uncommon in the hobby woodworker’s range. It’s mostly the companies that produce industrial grade woodworking machines that offer single machines.
    Most hobby woodworkers use jointer/planer combo machines and I also decided to purchase such a unit – a Hammer A 3-31. (A review of the machine can be found in the latest FWW magazine.)

The mobile base of the jointer/planer combo (approx. 680 lbs) was also shop-built:

This pictures was taken while I was standing in the "real" shop. It shows the hole for the dust collection plumbing.

Did I mention that I should build a stand/station for my Makita SCMS? It’s rather inconvenient to cut on the floor.

I hope you enjoyed the tour.
    Thanks for looking.

Christian

Wow Christian! Your shop has come a long way. Some real nice additions too!
    The way that you have things organized makes it look much larger.
    Great tour, thanks.
    "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
    friend...if you have one."
    --George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second..if there is
    one."
    --Winston Churchill, in response

Fantastic tour!

We had a Exchange Student from Austria. She was an incredible gal......fluent in 5 languages and highly intelligent. She was from Feldkirk in the Alps, as I recall. We still keep in touch with her, although she's been back in Europe for 8 years.

Where did you purchase your wheels for your shop-made bases? They look very strong. Nice job......your pics gave me some ideas on bases.

Thanks again for the tour.

Arnie

Christian, the shop looks great and you have done some great work since the last tour that I saw. The Festool collection is extensive and I hope to have as many as you someday. Festool rocks!!

Whoo Hoo!!

Boy has your little shop come a long way, man, it is bursting at the seams with great and innovative ideas and the use of space, man I really can appreciate that

Thanks SO MUCH for taking the time to put that together, it is really nice to see another perspective, not the same old boring "I've got a zillion square feet of space and it gets cold here in the winter" that all them Yanks are always putting up........................ (kidding fellas!! )

Neat to see the different plugs and stuff, I guess you run all 240 volt over there, correct?

Thanks again, VERY great job!!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Thanks for the tour!

Love your mobile bases. The way you built them they don't raise the machinery too high off the floor!

I like the way you do your hand tool storage as well (wrenches, clamps, etc).

No tablesaw or do you use the Festool for that?

great tour christian! thanks...tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Thanks for the tour Christian. You have added a lot since I last saw photos of your shop. You continue to make impressive improvements in the small space available to you.

In particular, I like the mobile base for your bandsaw. The one I made raises the bandsaw too high off the floor. I want to build a different one and, when I do, I might model it upon yours.

Of course, I continue to be fascinated by all the different tools available to you in Austria.
    Cheers, Frank

Like everyone else has mentioned.....

Great shop!

Joe

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mt
    Great shop tour Christian. Glad you found us! You have done a great job of organizing things in a small space.
    Don't believe everything you think!