Scalloped Vase

Here is another in the series of the scalloped vases. This one is Elm and I decided to leave it natural. I really like the little knots and the wood grain. Several light coats of lacquer. It is 7 3/4" tall and 3 3/4" across. Hopefully I can get this one down to the art gallery.

Attachments

• Elm Scalloped Vase 3.jpg
    Elm Scalloped Vase 3.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 32
  • Elm Scalloped Vase 2.jpg
    Elm Scalloped Vase 2.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 29
Bernie,
The natural elm really looks good and I agree with you on the knots. It looks like a smile. It would be hard not to like this one. Good job and I hope it sells fast.

Bernie,
I keep coming back to look at your scalloped vases... they are really really nice and thinking I need to try one. Really like the Elm... I had a huge elm cut that was dead and parts of it were falling on my shop. I had it cut the first year we were up here in TN, but let it lay too long and think I've lost 90% of it... a couple of the logs are just mush now... some of the ones higher up on the stack may still be usable and I've had a few pieces inside the shop that I might be able to use... I like the grain patterns in Elm.

Earlier this spring I picked up a limb at a friends house that had fallen out of his elm.. his was a slippery elm (also called a Chinese elm I think...) and a huge tree. The limb I got was over 12 inches diameter... I've done one pepper mill from it and it turned out really nice... I think I may try one of your vases next... I don't have a spindle sander, but will figure out a way to do the scallops.

Thanks to all. Chuck everyone around here calls these elms, chinese elms. Some of the older gentleman call them slippery elm. All I know is they are kinda of a ugly tree especially when they are half dead but the wood is just beautiful.

Yes Ted I did. I just glanced at the picture this morning in a hurry to get on the road to get grandma down to babysit grandson. I didn't even look at the name. I apologize Ted.

Bernie,
The natural elm really looks good and I agree with you on the knots. It looks like a smile. It would be hard not to like this one. Good job and I hope it sells fast.

not to take away from bernies sweet vase ,, but is that you in the avatar a long time ago??? it sure looks like vaughn and you are brothers:rofl:

It just begs to ask the question, have you ever seen Ted and Vaughn in the same place at the same time. Just sayin...

It's the monster east coast/west coast mirror image vortex!! Caught us both in the 60's!! (Except I can't play guitar) Ya gotta admit...we're both good looking :) :)

Another fine one, Bernie. :thumb:

It's the monster east coast/west coast mirror image vortex!! Caught us both in the 60's!! (Except I can't play guitar) Ya gotta admit...we're both good looking :) :)

Stunningly good-looking, I'd say. :thumb: Mom liked you better, though. You always got the Bugs Bunny glass and she made me use that cracked plastic one from the filling station. :rolleyes: :(

I gotta admit, the resemblance is uncanny. My deepest condolences. :rofl: