A hobby picked up at Pennsic

Chuck Thoits

Well I had some time on my hands and went up to the range with one of this guys bows http://www.elkridgearchery.com/index.htm
Well that lead to the need to get me one. Than the number one girl said she would like to try so we went up to the range with a bow that fit her and that lead to me having to get another bow from Joe. Thank fully it was the last day when girl #2 and her mother decided they needed to give this shooting thing a try and Joe was out of bows that fit them. So they both will be trying it out at home to see how they like it than I am sure that we will be giving Joe a call for 2 more bows. :doh:
The boy already has a nice long bow... He caught the bug last year and I got him a Bill Darr long bow this spring so he shot that for 2 weeks.
I'll get some pics after I find the camera:thumb::thumb:

Very cool. I've got some straw bales setup on the hill and everynow and then go and do a little shooting. Just a cheap bow I'm afraid, but fun, nonetheless.

You looking at the Horse bow or the Longbow?
I will warn you, Archery will be as addictive as any woodworking.
There are many books out there in making archery equipment. Let me know if you have any questions, I am a certified archery instructor.

found the camera:thumb:
First 4 pics are my bow birdseye limbs 5 6 and 7 are girl number ones bow tiger maple last 3 pics are the boys bow black locus

Attachments

• tn_bows 001.JPG
    tn_bows 001.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 41
  • tn_bows 010.JPG
    tn_bows 010.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 29
  • tn_bows 009.JPG
    tn_bows 009.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 29
  • tn_bows 008.JPG
    tn_bows 008.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 35
  • tn_bows 007.JPG
    tn_bows 007.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 35
  • tn_bows 006.JPG
    tn_bows 006.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 37
  • tn_bows 005.JPG
    tn_bows 005.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 38
  • tn_bows 004.JPG
    tn_bows 004.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 40
  • tn_bows 003.JPG
    tn_bows 003.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 41
  • tn_bows 002.JPG
    tn_bows 002.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I was helping one of my old bosses father move about 2 years ago. He was about 80 years old and full blooded American Indian. In one of the boxes was an old wooden contraption. I ask what it was. He said it was a new fangled bow forming jig. It held the hickory (?) sticks while the wood dried for forming the bow.

I said, "New fangled, I'd like to see what the old one looks like" He said "Me too!" He then explained that the old version was two squaws holding the stick in place until it dried. :)

Pretty sweet Chuck!
You're all going to have a lot of fun with those!
Going to hunt with them or just targets? I used to shoot years ago and loved going to the 3D shoots at the different clubs!

I was helping one of my old bosses father move about 2 years ago. He was about 80 years old and full blooded American Indian. In one of the boxes was an old wooden contraption. I ask what it was. He said it was a new fangled bow forming jig. It held the hickory (?) sticks while the wood dried for forming the bow.

I said, "New fangled, I'd like to see what the old one looks like" He said "Me too!" He then explained that the old version was two squaws holding the stick in place until it dried. :)

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

well chuck i can attest to the addiction of archery.. i have hunted exclusivly with one for the last 37yrs.. so if you have some questions i can try to answer some for you but i am not a qualified instructor like the other fellow:) just do it is all..even shot with fred bear a long time ago for fun..

Joe sent these out for the wife and girl #2

Attachments

• tn_arrow 001.JPG
    tn_arrow 001.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 27
  • tn_arrow 002.JPG
    tn_arrow 002.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 28
Here is an odd one for ya Larry. I tried the carbon fiber arrows that we had gotten the boy last year. They clam to be 50/65 But when I shoot them out of my 40 they all but turn them selves inside out. It's the oddest thing to watch you release the arrow it almost folds in half zigzags back and forth foe about 15 yards straightens out and will hit just about perfect where you are aiming. :thumb::doh::doh:

chuck arrows spined for compounds are different than for recurves or stick bows..the way they pick up force is different..also the ctnr shot affects them diffently.. your cedar shafts are stiffer than the carbon.. if you adjusted your ctnr shot for them then you could get better flight.. but stick bows are usually shot off the shelf and not a rest..

Last edited: