Grizzly Dust Collector Problems

Jeb Taylor

I had a recent failure of my Grizzly dust collector remote relay switch. The screws that hold the circuit board for the push buttons/remote in place came loose from vibration, and got into the relay and shorted out the board. Grizzly replaced the box under warranty and everything is fine, but I thought I might point it out. If it hadn't been under warranty, it's a $150 part. You could of course change it to on/off switch for the relay, but if you want to remote switch or timer part, you gotta buy the whole box.

It's very easy to check the screws if you have one to make sure they're not loose. I even noticed the push buttons I use occasionally seemed to be harder to push right before it failed, but didn't even think about the board being loose behind the panel.

I have the 3hp cyclone, G0441 I believe. My relay box is mounted on the side of the cyclone currently. They relays/overloads are different, but I believe the remote relay box is generally the same for all of their 220v cyclones at least.

To check it, just pop the cover open to the relay box. There's 3 screws that hold the circuit board to the front of the relay box cover, those are what came loose on mine.

Jeb....Does Grizzly advise mounting it on the side of the cyclone? Did it come that way?

The reason I ask, the US Navy spends a lot of money to isolate vibration from their electronics equipment used aboard ships and in aircraft. They do it for a reason.

On my Oneida, the controller is mounted on the wall, not on the cyclone/DC itself.

This could be a reoccuring problem. If I had to leave the controller mounted on cyclone, I'd advise using some blue (small thread, removeable) Loc-Tite thread locker to prevent the problem from reappearing.

They actually have it as installed on the dust collector in the manual, but it is easy enough to move. If I ever get some time I plan on walling my dust collector in a closet and mounting the remote switch outside.

I am going to get some threadlock for the screws, if I can just remember to buy it when I'm out :doh:

Thanks Jeb. I just checked mine and they were OK. I put a small drop of plastic cement on each screw for added safety. I can sure see how a loose screw could play heck in there. I'm a better-safe-than-sorry kinda guy and really appreciate the heads up.

Gents i think Ken has some very worthwhile points about the vibration.

Forget whether the screws stay fixed or not. Worry about what the vibration is doing to the components. These components that they used are no ways military grade stuff or secured to a board in the same manner.

I would move the board off the vibration of the dust collector if i were you guys. Had my fair share of this kind of real world experience in R&D.

I think you seeing the difference with Oneida being engineered in the USA and manufactured in the USA versus the Grizzly stuff being done in China.

There is no doubt in my mind hearing the Oneida guys have theirs seperate that they know about vibration. They build much bigger units too so they into this kind of thing in a bigger way than the hobby woodworking units Grizzly sells.