wassa hair box?

Frank Fusco

I am re-reading Huckleberry Finn, first time in over 50 years.
At one point, Huck is visiting in a home and is allowed to sleep in a room belonging to a girl (without the girl). He describes the room as having a "hair box". Later the girl is in the room and he says she is sitting on her "hair trunk".
Now, I am familiar with 'hair receivers'. They are small porcelain containers with a hole in the lid where ladies saved their hair. (why is another topic) But, I have never heard of 'hair boxes or trunks'.
I did Google up one definition that it was a trunk covered with hide from which the hair had not been removed. Dunno if that covers it or not.
Any input on this?

I have never heard of 'hair boxes'.

Frank,

Two quick answers, neither definitive.

1. A kind of reliquary. This is unlikely, given the context.

2. A long, shallow, narrow box for storing what we would now call hair extensions. One would find it on vanities, etc.

But for the trunk, you're on your own... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

my grandfather used to tell me all the time when I was 17, get a box and save your hair, youre going to need it all later on in life.
I thought he was funny, never thought he was serious.

I was baby sitting my 3 year old grandson and he was watching me get ready for bed. When I took off my pants he looked at my legs and asked me why I had hair pants on.