Thread: Tilt Table - Table Saw

Bob Wiggins is offline Former Member (by the member's request)

Tilt Table - Table Saw

This 8" Craftsman saw from sometime in the mid 50s probably isn't considered Old Iron but it's all I've had for the past 30 years and does everything I need to do. I suspect it was designed for the home owner so everyone could have a saw in his garage. I did build an extension a long time ago so I could rip to 2 ft. widths. If large sheets need to be ripped, which isn't often, I use the portable saw. I found another identical one at auction a year ago with the original owner's manual and it's on the shop floor waiting for a stand to be built. Maybe I'll get to that some day.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>
    Best of luck with your projects. bob

Sure, 50's is old enough. I'm sure there are lots of people in their 30's who've never seen or heard of a tilt table saw. They were the norm for home shops at one time. Tilt arbor was sort of a luxury at one time, now it's taken for granted.
    All the best,
    Ian G

**Now holding auditions for a catchy new signature**

There's one just like that taking up space in my Mom's basement. I think Dad got it somewhere around 1948. It now sits on an angle iron table he built for it, and a Craftsman 4" jointer he bought around 1952 or 3. He rigged it up so that they both run off a single half horse motor located below and between them. Both machines run at the same time, and off a single common switch. Dad never was much for shop safety, and the combo is scary as Hell! In fact, looking back on some of the stuff he tried with that tablesaw is really scary - free hand cutting plywood, freehand rips, with no fence, trying to cut a wheel by making a couple hundred freehanded tangential cuts, etc. In retrospect, it's a wonder he survived with all his fingers intact!

Seeing your saw did bring back some memories, though...
    Jim D.

Bob, Great saw. Most of the older tools are much more accurate then these new ones. The only draw make is the small table size. I love my little Walker-Turner 7"? tilt table saw. It comes in handy for smaller items.