Coaster Set

Ron Roase

I have been going to do this for a long time,but just never seem to get around to it. The coaster set we have is much to small for a larger size glass or cup. So This was the time. I have some Mahogany Flooring along with some Maple flooring. A relative of mine does flooring for his work. So I get some of his scraps. For some reason Flooring is much harder than your regular wood type. AnywayI got all the pieces laid out and ready to rip and after ripping them to size I glued them up and then ran them through the plainer.
Cut every thing to length and did the glue up of the carcase.
Ready to rip to size.JPG

Glue up.JPG

Plane to thickness.JPG

Carcase glue up.JPG

Now it was time to cut the feet, they needed a lsight round over about 1/16"
Then glue feet to the carcase. While they are drying I will rout out the area in the coaster for the cork. Took a little work to make up the template as I had no hole saw or forsner bit large enough, but I did find a wing cutter I bought way back when. It worked great once I found a safe way of useing it.
Applied BLO to all parts and let dry.Set up my Spray Booth on top of my bench and brought in the turn table. Sprayed a couple coats of water base clear & waxed. Glue the cork on and even put some felt pads on the bottom
of each.
Redy to cut feet.JPG Slight round over.JPG Glue feet on.JPG Template to rout for cork.JPG BLO applied.JPG On the turntable for finish.JPG My delux spray booth.JPG Ready to glue up cork.JPG
Finished .JPG
It all came to gather pretty well. This is my first attempt to try and show what I was doing, not sure if it is to jumbled up or not. Let me know if I should post it differently.:dunno: Any way it was fun doing it. More work than
making the project. I am not all that comfortable with taking the pictures. I keep forgetting to take a picture at the proper time.:D:thumb::rofl: