Flip Top Tool Table - Performax Drum Sander

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
Well finally got around to making one of the flip top tables that I've been talking about. It's not pretty, and the warped plywood didn't make things any easier, but at least it's functional and I learned some things I'd do different on the next one. I'd call it a prototype, but It seems to do it's job well enough that I'll probably just keep it and let it do what it was meant to do...

Setup with the drawer showing the storage. The rectangular cutout was due to a miscalculation on the height of the table. The casters ended up being just a bit taller than I expected, so I had to cut the sides down a little bit meaning the amount of 'upside down' clearance was reduced... :doh:
FWW-4255.jpg

Flipped over and ready to put away
FWW-4253.jpg

Tucked away in it's little 'garage space'. The flip top table for the drum sander is next on the agenda.
FWW-4256.jpg

Attachments

• FWW-4254.jpg
    FWW-4254.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Very slick, Brent. :thumb: Ive got a few tools that could use that sort of stand, although it'd take some remodeling to make storage room under my shop table (too low to call it a bench).

Well finally got around to making one of the flip top tables that I've been talking about. It's not pretty, and the warped plywood didn't make things any easier, but at least it's functional and I learned some things I'd do different on the next one. I'd call it a prototype, but It seems to do it's job well enough that I'll probably just keep it and let it do what it was meant to do...

Setup with the drawer showing the storage. The rectangular cutout was due to a miscalculation on the height of the table. The casters ended up being just a bit taller than I expected, so I had to cut the sides down a little bit meaning the amount of 'upside down' clearance was reduced... :doh:
View attachment 59013

Your a programmer and I believe the proper term for that would be a "Feature"
:rofl:

And BTW I really like that concept....You did good.

Well, I've got at least 2 more I'm planning on making, maybe 3. Where I parked that one, I plan on parking at least the drum sander, planer, and maybe a grinder/belt sander combo.... Should really help clear up some room...

Well done Brent. Between Steves storage ideas and your flip cart i think these are two concepts that are a must for small shops.

I think you did well regardless of the plywoods behavior, its fit for purpose and thats what matters for shop equipment.

I have my eye on one of those sanders now that the depot here has finally recognised the price should be the same as the US.:thumb:

Especially given Bernies nice scallop vase. That has hooked my attention for some spinny work.:D

Very cool Brent :thumb: can I ask how it pivot's & locks?

EDIT: I can see the pivot rod{?} now, but what about the locking? are they just push -pull dowels/rods? TIA

The pivot is just a 1/2 steel rod that goes from side to side through a channel in the middle of the table. A washer and a cotter pin on each end keeps it in place. Not very elegant, I'm afraid.

It's probably overkill, but I put a threaded insert at each corner. The knobs are just a bolt through a plywood disk. So I have to undo all the knobs to flip it. There are faster ways to rig that up I think.

I probably need to revisit Glenns Flip top table. He has a much better mechanism for that than I do. Glenns Flip Top Table

Lookin' good Brent. My flip top (first built back in 2006) has more than earned its keep. The tools have changed over time from CMS to planer to sanders, etc. I have been thinking about moving my Ridgid OSS to it in place of my DW734 which has fallen into low use since a planer upgrade awhile back. Maybe then I would FINALLY add the drawer in the bottom that I never got around to. ;-))

Well, put together another flip top table for the drum sander. Changed up the way I did the knobs on this one. I took some 1/2 steel, drilled and tapped a hole through it for 1/2 20 thread. Routed a pocket in each corner and used some 1/4 20 all thread and some through knobs. Works much better than the other one. Might get around to redoing the other one some day.

Since the drum sander is so heavy, I though the flipping would be awkward, but I was surprised at how easily it rotates into position. Very little effort required.

Ok, Time to get back out in the garage and continue on my quest to get it organized...

FWW-4264.jpg

FWW-4265.jpg

FWW-4263.jpg

FWW-4266.jpg