Compound Mitre Saw

Rob Keeble

After some years now and getting more used to doing things on my table saw, i am asking the question of do you really need a CMS in your woodshop?

Even the other day making some heavy duty boxes from some 2x12 pressure treated lumber we had laying around, i started to use the CMS and then said heck no i will go to the table saw.

The more i have used my table saw and got used to using it fully the less and less the CMS has been in play. Now after Brents post for the flip top i am thinking that maybe the CMS can actually go. It takes up way too much space and whats the point if I am not going to use it.

I aint in construction and i aint a trim carpenter so give me a reason why i would want a CMS in my shop please before i get rid of it and regret it.

I use my CMS quite a bit. I use it to cut a square end off a board, to exact length, or to cut miters.

The problem with using the table saw is the set up time, I have my table saw set up for ripping. If I want to crosscut, I have to remove the fence, put on my sled and make the cut. Then tear it down and go back to the rip set up.

I don't use a miter gauge on my table saw so all my angle cuts are made on my CMS, or with a jig using a sled on my table saw (for long cuts).

Summary, the CMS is one of the most used tools in my shop, probably equal in use to my table saw.

Mike

Mike on the time to use i agree but how have you found accuracy. What CMS size and make do you have. Is it a slider?

My thoughts are to get rid of my 12 inch slider and get a smaller say 10 inch or even 8 inch and fix no sliding.:dunno::huh:

And i have become far more comfortable with my miter gauge on my table saw. This is probably whats brought about the thoughts.

Rob,
I have used to use a cms all the time. (used to) In fact I still have several of them, left overs from when I needed one in the shop, one or more set up on the various trim jobs I would be working at and one I always kept in the van. All but one were sliders. I had a need and a purpose for them at the time so I was able to justify the investment.
That said....
In my shop I have a sliding table set up on my ts. All I need to do is loosen 2 bolts and off comes the cross cut fence for using it to rip. I do all of my ripping and cross cutting on the ts. When I set up for making my stiles and rails for ff's and doors etc. Also for rough cross cutting.

So. 90 percent of the cuts I would normally do on a cms are done on my ts.
But, and the key word here is, but, I have found with this set up it is more laborious to set up the saw for mitering, especially compound mitering for crowns and such. Also if you want to cut a piece of crown on the vertical you can't do it on the ts because the blade isnt high enough.
That is where the cms comes into play. I have my 12" Hitachi set up on a bench collecting dust till I need it, I also have a 9" ras to the right of my ts that is on a stand the same height as my ts infeed table so it helps for outboard support when I am ripping sheet goods.

You may consider setting the saw on a small roll around cart that you can tuck into a corner and roll it out when needed. You already own it so why go buy a smaller one? Also, the "chop" saws do not give you a good bevel cut. They always scallop out the miter especially on wider pieces. With the slider that isnt the case.
For dead on accuracy on 90 degree cross cuts it's the ts hands down though.

incidently this is the slider I use. I cant say enough good things about it. Once it is set up and tuned. it is a huge labor saver for sizing sheet goods and cross cutting. It also is great for making huge miters like mitering a counter top and such.

http://woodworker.com/auxiliary-sliding-table-62-capacity-mssu-914-351.asp?search=excalibur sliding table&searchmode=2

I'm probably not a good benchmark for flatwork, but my CMS is one of the least-used power tools in my shop. For me, it's faster to remove the fence (about 5 seconds) and use my Incra miter gauge on the tablesaw for the crosscut than it is to get the CMS out of the cabinet and set it up on a bench or miter saw stand. More accurate, too.

Mike on the time to use i agree but how have you found accuracy. What CMS size and make do you have. Is it a slider?

My thoughts are to get rid of my 12 inch slider and get a smaller say 10 inch or even 8 inch and fix no sliding.:dunno::huh:

And i have become far more comfortable with my miter gauge on my table saw. This is probably whats brought about the thoughts.
I have a 12 inch Bosch non-slider. It's accurate. It came well adjusted and I check it every six months or so.

I'd actually prefer an accurate slider to get a wider cut but I didn't have room for it (behind the saw). Bosch is now making a "slider" that doesn't take a lot of room behind the saw, and Festool makes one also. One day I'll spring for one of those.

Mike

The majority of my wood going in the wood stove has seen the cms, also use it for framing and flooring work. For more accurate cutting I use my table saw and jessem miter.

I use my cms (a 10" DeWalt, non-slider) for breaking down long boards, construction tasks, and 'getting close' for finish cuts. I do all my precision crosscutting on the ts. I tried, I really did, to use my cms for accurate cross cuts, but it's just not up to the task. It has been difficult (for me, at least) to align, and blade deflection during a cuts in harder woods throws my joinery off. I imagine a better/sharper blade than my 80 tooth Oldham might help.:dunno:

Overall, it has a permanent place in my shop and gets used often - just not for fine work.

I used mine a few months ago to do the trim in LOML's remodel. Before that it had been years. I'm glad I have one when I need one but, if I didn't already have it I wouldn't buy one; I'd rent. I use the jigsaw or the Circ-saw to break down lumber. You will hear from a contingent that feel they are an absolute necessity and I do not contest this. Like a RAS, I just don't really need one enough to dedicate the real estate they take up; someone else will feel that's crazy talk. :D

Last edited:
Got rid of the sliders and the 12" one they were to inaccurate I have a 10" and will replace it with a better one at some point. But when I want a accurate cut the CMS is what I go to.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that I use a zero clearance fence set up too.

well for long repetitive crosscuts i use the chop saw exclusively,, and i have a RAS that gets used for the crosscutting of the rough lumber for projects.. but a slider in the miter saw world today can easily replace the RAS..so i say keep it rob it doesnt owe you anything and when you need it you will have it..

Thank you all for your input. I hear you Larry but Jim feels my point. It takes up real estate. Rennie shares my view on accuracy.
Gotta say just hearing the comments is heart warming and reassuring at least on its place.
I guess it will keep its place but its definitely getting a flip cart. I think it can share with the dewalt planner and the planner will be topside most of the time for my shop. :)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

My Dewalt 718 is right behind me when I'm standing at my bench. When I'm doing assembly work it is invaluable in making all the cuts needed to build cabinets. It gets used for a multitude of things including, crown, cutting rails and styles for doors and face frames, trimming shelves to length............................................................................................................... I couldn't do without one. In fact there are 3 in my shop that get used everyday and a fourth that has been retired.

I have a Dewalt 8 1/2" sliding cms. It is dead on accurate and I haven't adjusted it in years. It is only second in use to my ts.
The only thing that stinks about it is dust collection.

My CMS is one of my least often used tools. But when I need it, it is invaluable. I bought it to SAVE space. My table saw is small and I don't have room to put a big one. I'm glad I have it and would not want to part with it.

DeWalt SCMS. Best investment, first quality tool I purchased and it taught me to save to afford the best. Would not be without it. I can set it easier and quicker for different cuts. My go to saw. Has its own table now, it is used possibly on each project somewhere in the process.

Just thinking, In my limited space I can't imagine how I would square up or cross cut a 8 to 10 foot board on my TS or how I could balance it with 7 feet hanging off the side of the table :dunno:

I've been searching craigs list for a cheap old ras in decent condition. I want to use it exclusively for dados.

I use my cms (a 10" DeWalt, non-slider) for breaking down long boards, construction tasks, and 'getting close' for finish cuts. I do all my precision crosscutting on the ts. I tried, I really did, to use my cms for accurate cross cuts, but it's just not up to the task. It has been difficult (for me, at least) to align, and blade deflection during a cuts in harder woods throws my joinery off. I imagine a better/sharper blade than my 80 tooth Oldham might help.:dunno:

Overall, it has a permanent place in my shop and gets used often - just not for fine work.
After reading some of the other posts, maybe I need to upgrade! :D:highfive::crossed::bounce::bliss:
r04010v6.jpg
This one!

My 2 cents You all ready have come to the conclusion that you don't need it. So sell it off and be rid of it. If six months down the road you are kicking your self for parting with it by a new better one than you have now. A lot of times one will go out and buy the best deal not necessarily the best tool. Than because the cheap tool does not perform well, they think they really don't need one, it doesn't really work all that well anyways. Never knowing that it is the tool or the model they got. Thus putting all of that type of tool in the "it don't work so good" category. Never knowing that there is a better option that really does what the tool is designed to do. The other problem is trying to wade through the marketing hoopla to get to the tool that really does the job.:doh::thumb: