Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sprayed Lacquer Turnings update

Sprayed Lacquer Turnings update

I called Mohawk the other day and talked to a technical rep about their product and the problems I was having spraying it. He explained to me that Mohawk is Acetone based and to spray it effectively you have a 2-3hr window of time to add additional coats that should burn in. After that there will probably be layering issues.

Also said that it would be best (for woodturning and art objects etc..)to use one of there string instrument lacquers because of a higher solids content ( 90 or something like that ) whereas the others do not. The string instrument lacquer would produce the glass like finish (less durable but nicer finish achieved easily). I was complaining about not being able to get with the Mohawk WW.

Further, I probably should have not bought this type of lacquer - and that not all lacquers are made equal <----------no kidding
    Comment:::: "Geeeee....you think they may have wanted to educate your sales people on this information before selling it with alot of false promises........
    His final suggestion after I said that i guess ill probably get rid of it because the Campbell is working well was to use it for dipping.
    Comment:::::Nope, I think ill just dispose of it and chalk it up to a hard lesson learned.............

Below are some smaller projects I used to try out my spraying ability. They turned out well and I figured out a way to correct some flaws when you spray. If you get some sag or pinhole bubbles or whatever you call them I just let it dry for a bit and they spray it with lacque thinner and watch the magic..............
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Campbell-1.jpg   Campbell-2.jpg  
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

Wow Dan, They sure do have a gloss, don't they? Is that the "as sprayed" finish, or did you sand and rub it out to get that gloss? Looking good there buddy. And, this was with your new spray gun system?
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.

Yes I notice the gloss builds fairly easy, the pictures in my post are with about 4-5 coats on which seems to work well to cover without anything showing thru. The finish is sprayed as is like you said - I am going to let one of them dry well - sand with 600 and buff with Ren wax....just for fun.......
    After noticing that I can spray the thinner on it to get rid of imperfections I do not see the need to buff really (unless its to level out a bad error or dust etc...)

I sprayed it with the system I built with all of your comments and help and its working very well right now.

I have a longer hose attached to the filter with a inline filter so I can spray it outside in the driveway. I found spraying inside the garage creates a cloud. So far I am on the learning curve but experimenting my way along with tones and dyes has added another creative aspect to the turnings........
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

Dan, what pressure are you spraying at? Maybe if you experiment lowering your air pressure you won't experience as much of the "cloud" of spray mist. You are using lacquer, which should be pretty thin and not need a great deal of pressure to atomize for good application. I spray small things at as low as 18 to 20 # with good results, using thinned product. And, I don't even own a gravity feed gun. YMMV.

Keep us posted. And glad I have been able to help.

Aloha, Tony
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

Registered voting member

Thanks for posting about your experiences and experiments, Dan. I'm picking up several ideas.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

That's gonna cost ya McMillan.

Registered voting member

Tony - Vaughn.......... I sprayed today and was using close to 20psi but it didnt seem to spray well so I up'd it to 28 and that maybe a bit to high. So tonight im going to spray some more coats on a few projects I have and im going to try betwen 20-25psi to see how that works. Your right on the higer pressures creating the cloud or snowy look so I lowered it but for the ML Campbell im thinking between 20-25.

Below is a picture of a small box that I made today - I dyed the wood with ruby red and sanded lightly - let it dry for a hr or so - the box is dried old pc of walnut - I then sprayed on a couple very light coats and knocked it down after about a hr -then applied several more coats one after the other with about 15min set time between coats - I than lightly sprayed the pc all over with lacquer thinner to even things out. It looked good but I got called away and left it sitting in the garage - temps here are in the mid 100's and im sure the garage is a oven. When I returned there were pin dots on it in different areas - I have had it happen before and im not sure what is causing it..........could it be the spraying of lacquer thinner ? but on the other pc's I didnt use lacquer thinner....or the heat in the garage ? or to many coats in to short of time ? or to thick of coats ?

See the pictures below if you look close you can see the needle dots im talking about.....................thoughts ???

Side note - 1). I mixed some powder dye analine with lacquer thinner and it sprays on fairly good - just playing around to see what works and how well.......but sprayed it
    outside in the drive way.......ie...well ventilated and wearing a mask.
    2). I picked up some artists oil this evening to see how well it can be mixed in with lacquer for tone........more to come
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010001.jpg   P1010006.jpg   P1010007.jpg   P1010011.jpg   P1010012.jpg  

P1010013.jpg   P1010014.jpg   P1010015.jpg   P1010016.jpg   P1010024.jpg  

Last edited by Dan Mosley; 08-19-2011 at 03:27 AM.

Keep the experiments coming, Dan.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Looking good Dan. I went to Harbor Freight today and thought about picking up one of there cheap spray guns. I still may before we leave after seeing yours.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: That’s when you return from work one day
    and say, “Hi, Honey, I’m home – forever.”

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Bernie...........i bought one of the harbor freight cheap units and it didnt work right so they sent me another one that worked ok at best. The Badger 250 model I bought online is about $18.00-$20.00 and works great, I got the repair kit with it just incase......no regrets on this one for a single action sprayer. Easy to clean and cleaned in seconds - literally. I just detach the bottle of lacquer and attach the thinner and spary it and wipe it down - thats it..............

I also got the critter sprayer on sale from amazon and you can attach mason jars filled with fluid to that one. I have not used it yet but I bought because it was on sale and in case the badger did not work out. At the moment Im having fun with the badger.............LOL hope it helps