Friday 8/19 Edition

Another Friday is here. So whats going on?

Myself, I guess I am pouring concrete in the morning. First project for the church mens group. It should be interesting. They all want to meet for breakfast first, then go rip out the old, set the forms, and pour the new. Old guys have no idea how to do this stuff. They take too many breaks:thumb: Going to be in the mid-nineties tomorrow. They will be blowing chunks in my crete.

Shop time and home work for the rest of the weekend.

At the moment, I'm thinking about heading out for brunch... Waffle House is my intended target, after I find an ATM. After that, I'm going to look up Woodcraft and pick up some pen kits. I Think there's one in the 'neighborhood' here in VA Beach.

heading into the final stretch of the armoire project. Hope to be laying on finish by this afternoon and install sunday or monday.
hopefully find some time to work on sharpening some of my lathe tools and gathering some scraps to start practicing on before I cut into those logs.

I'll be wrapping up another flip top table today.

Over the weekend I should be able to get back to work on my shed. Should be fun lifting all the trusses up on top of that thing by myself...:eek:

May run to the local re-store store today and see what tile they have for the master bath project.

I started tearing down the engine in the Tahoe the other night. Going to finish that tonight and possibly tomorrow to see what the damage is, hopefully just a head gasket.

My wife and daughter are planning to have a garage sale tomorrow, which will hopefully clear out the garage, can barely fit her car in it. What doesn't sell will go to good will on Sunday or trash.

To a friends house tonight for BBQ and beers. Shop time tomorrow to finish up a table project, pics will follow soon! :rolleyes: Sunday yard work and hopefully more shop time.

resting my sore bones, my brother is in from florida and will be coming over tomorrow until sunday.
Ill have to take him out to dinner, so its either bbq or deli. (I know he likes em both)

That would be ideal, but those cost more than the tahoe is worth. I'm just planning to get the old engine running again so I can get a little more for it. Had it listed on CL for $1700 as-is, but was only getting offers of a few hundred. So I should get $2500 if it's running right, $3000 if I keep it until winter since it's 4x4. Currently it's got coolant in #4 & #6 cylinders, none in the oil pan, so hoping it didn't crack a head and only needs gaskets.

My daughter, son in law, and 2 grand daughters that needed to move in with us for a month or two a year and a half ago are going away for the weekend.:bliss:

Probably spend some quality alone time with my wife :) Her knee is doing well and she has to go back to teaching next week.

Gotta slap together a quick stash for some wood that is getting in the way. My close quarters get crowded prior to starting larger projects and I seem to bump into boards at every turn right now.

Appliances attacked.

Took out a Culligan Water Softener today. Everything is rosey until my wife says, "I can't get the disfwasher to run." It would start and go for about one minute while it went thru its little warm up routine. When it was time for water it just stopped and waited.

I get out the useless manual. The manual's tech section only had two problems listed, neither of which had anything to do with not running. I mess around, getting no place. Myrna says, "Remember the water was off while the Water Softner was being removed. Could that have anything to do with it?"

I check. There is NO hot water at any faucet. My guess is that the dishwasher thermostat was waiting for hot water.

I go to hot water tank. Guess what? It is not lit. Instructions for lighting include the use of a "reset" button. Well the button won't depress unless the gas supply knob is turned all of the way off. You know what? With the gas OFF the pilot light won't light from the electric spark. You notice how clever I was to figure that out?

I will call Whirlpool tomorrow and see what they have to say. Girrrr! Anyway that's how I spent my woodworking time today.

Enjoy,
Jim

I started the weekend off last night "wet washing" the ceiling I've stripped the popcorn off and watching the Rangers make another of their comebacks against the White Sox, and a great starting pitcher. Not sure why he fell apart.
Today I need to finish the wipe down and start back with the mudding. I've got a lot of repair to do on it before I can prime, texture, prime and paint. Need to get the recessed can lights and cut them in also. Wanted the Halo units, but the covers cost more per unit than the light fixtures!! For a piece of plastic!!!! Will go with the house brand at HD. Has decent reviews and the contractor packs come with the covers.
Have a birthday get together for a friend tonight. Unfortunately, I'll miss most of the Ranger game I'm afraid. Maybe it will be on at the restaurant we are going to. :rolleyes: Jim.

Yeah, yeah - I know it's already Sunday! :dunno: It's been forever since I posted on here. Lots of things happening. I'm finally starting to get some routine shop time again and hope to stay busy in there.

The main thing I have in the works is a credenza that will serve as an entertainment center. We plan to replace the 48" projection TV in our family room with a 55" LCD in a few months, so it will need a place to live. I started on the form for radius pieces I'll need for several components. Overall size will be about 72" long, 21" deep in the center and 24" high. Graphic attached.

I've also started on some small items to pass along as holiday gifts later this year.

Attachments

• EC_Credenza.jpg
    EC_Credenza.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 14
my brother came in and spent the weekend being sick in my house, wasnt too much fun.

but this did mark my 5 year mark since I first had any interest in woodworking.

Havent figured it all out yet, probably never will, but do know that mahogany will always cost 4 times as much as pine, no matter where I go.

Well, Pretty good weekend for me, I reckon.

Finished up a 2'nd flipper tool table, got going again on the shed, and spent some quality in the shop doing some general organizing and futzing around. Seems like things are finally coming together and I might be able to get started on some 'real' projects one of these days.