Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Assembly Table - Knock Down

Assembly Table - Knock Down

I think this is more a fixture than flatwork. I rarely use sheet goods and there seems to be a good amount of discussion as to how to go about breaking them down. I am making this knock-down assembly table:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	assm-tbl-knock-down-1.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	59134

Here's my method for dealing with ply; I use foam boards on the floor and a shop made saw guide to get a straight edge. Then using that edge I rip to width.

Name:	assm-tbl-knock-down 001.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	59135Click image for larger version. 

Name:	assm-tbl-knock-down 002.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	59136

With the overarm DC hood, this is the amount of sawdust that gets missed after a few cuts. When I'm done with it, I swing it out of the way.

Name:	assm-tbl-knock-down 003.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	59137Click image for larger version. 

Name:	assm-tbl-knock-down 004.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	59138

I set the fence to 3/4" larger than the dimension I want and then clamp on my 3/4" stop block. I also have this waxed strip of oak that locks into the router table miter slot to support the material that extends beyond the sled.

Name:	assm-tbl-knock-down 005.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	59139Click image for larger version. 

Name:	assm-tbl-knock-down 006.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	59140

Now I use the sled to trim a good perpendicular edge, slide to the stop block and cut to length. In a very short time I have gone from a sheet of plywood to the four panels I am after for the first phase of this little project.

Name:	assm-tbl-knock-down 007.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	59141 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	assm-tbl-knock-down 008.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	59142

Back out to the shop . . . .
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I'm back . . . .

I use the dado and the stop block to cut the lap-slots(?) I square out the cut by nibbling away on the bandsaw and here's one set of legs. Time to quit for tonight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails assm-tbl-knock-down 009.jpg   assm-tbl-knock-down 010.jpg  
    - Arthur C. Clarke

You have enough open floor space to lay out a sheet of plywood?
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Glenn, you should write a book of all your tips, and jigs
    Faith, Hope & Charity

So am i correct in guessing this gives you a two for one option. One set of wood providing two different height configurable tables?

If not whats that extra slot for?

You always seem to be one step ahead of exactly the things i need. How do know i used my table saw for an assembly table.

By the way Glenn if you ever get to Canada i am sorry you aint gonna get to see my table saw.

When i see yours it could be on the show room floor of Sears it looks so clean and new. I aint talking just dust. But its very obvious to me you dont have anything other than wood go near that saw. How do you get buy without using that flat surface. Now i am going to have to go and spend the day cleaning up my saws surface.
    Last edited by Rob Keeble; 08-21-2011 at 02:48 PM.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    How do you get buy without using that flat surface. Now i am going to have to go and spend the day cleaning up my saws surface.
    <<< please read this with all the tongue in cheek it was written with >>>>

Years ago I read an article about small shop organization. A concept was preached called "The Prime Directive". This directive states that if you cannot walk up to a floor standing tool and use it (without having to move all those items you set there for "just a moment" two weeks ago) you have violated the prime directive and should be shot .

Tools are tools and are for using as designed. Tables and shelves are for setting stuff on (also being used as designed). I have watched others lose hours and hours of shop time moving a pile of junk from one tool surface to the other so they could do something they should already be done with; all the while crying about how they don't have enough shop time to get anything done.

That used to be me. I committed to change and have never looked back; although I do get all holier-than-thou about it often enough I also adopted the teachings of "clean up as you work". I turn and put the ruler back on the hook now so I will know where it is when I want it in 10 minutes. Otherwise I spend "lost" time looking for it on the bench, over on the DP or wherever I was standing when I put it down.

Here's a couple shots of the "two for one" height leg sets. I'll try to get the top knocked out in the next hour or so and post a "done" shot.

Tall: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	assm-tbl-dry-fit 006.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	59151

Short: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	assm-tbl-dry-fit 007.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	59152
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    A concept was preached called "The Prime Directive". This directive states that if you cannot walk up to a floor standing tool and use it (without having to move all those items you set there for "just a moment" two weeks ago) you have violated the prime directive and should be shot .

Tools are tools and are for using as designed. Tables and shelves are for setting stuff on (also being used as designed). I have watched others lose hours and hours of shop time moving a pile of junk from one tool surface to the other so they could do something they should already be done with; all the while crying about how they don't have enough shop time to get anything done.

That used to be me. I committed to change and have never looked back; although I do get all holier-than-thou about it often enough I also adopted the teachings of "clean up as you work". I turn and put the ruler back on the hook now so I will know where it is when I want it in 10 minutes. Otherwise I spend "lost" time looking for it on the bench, over on the DP or wherever I was standing when I put it down.
    I really see the wisdom in that, unfortunately, I'm not quite there yet. Working towards it and will hopefully get there some day.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Assembly Table, Assembled

I'm not there either but, I am trying to learn from those that have BTDT .

Wow, using the overarm 2 days in a row. I think this is a record. The top panel is large enough to bring out the Mondo-sled. I can also get some of the apron parts out of it:

Name:	assm-tbl-dry-fit- 001.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	59168 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	assm-tbl-dry-fit- 003.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	59161

I don’t really need the Mondo-sled to cut the apron parts to length but, its already there and I’m getting hungry.

Name:	assm-tbl-dry-fit- 004.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	59162

I got distracted with something else and am running out of time. I need a quick, reliable joinery method for plywood . . . pocket holes!

Name:	assm-tbl-dry-fit- 005.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	59163

I'll shellac and wax the top like most of my work surfaces. The sides and legs will get finished like my other shop fixtures; I wipe whatever I happen to have just finished using on them .

Short legs / Long legs fit like so:

Name:	assm-tbl-dry-fit- 007.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	59165 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	assm-tbl-dry-fit- 006.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	59164

Stands like so (It'll be so nice not to have to stoop and stretch as much) and stores like so (leaning behind the jointer, workbench or wherever.

Name:	assm-tbl-dry-fit- 008.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	59166 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	assm-tbl-dry-fit- 009.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	59167

The whole thing weighs about what 2/3 of a sheet of 3/4" ply ought to. I started with a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood and have this leftover.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails assm-tbl-leftovers.jpg  
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 08-21-2011 at 09:37 PM.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Very cool. Love the way it stores. I think that's probably one of the best features of the whole thing.

Got any more info on the Mondo Sled? I need to build me a panel sled one of these days. Well, a real one. I've got a little temp one I use for cutting/trimming larger panels, but it could be better, and yours looks pretty nice.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

I have always felt inadequate whenever I saw your shop pictures of all the jigs, fixtures. and organizational projects. That is until I saw your old cord reel box being used for short storage. Yes, he is human and I am OK
    Faith, Hope & Charity