Thread: PT Lumber length

PT Lumber length

OK, I have started the floor of the Playhouse/shed and I have a question.

It's been 15+ years since I have done construction but this has got me puzzled. Why were the PT 4x4's and 2x6' all between 1 - 1 1/2" longer than their stated length? I got the 4x4's from HD, and the 2x6's from Lowes so it's not just the store.

Am i going to run into this when I place the order for the standard dimensional lumber too?

PT lumber has a very high moisture content. Perhaps the extra length is to allow for shrinkage???
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

I'll take a picture of some PT I had when I started my shed project, but left out in the sun. Can you say 'Hockey Stick'?
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Thanks for that tip Brent. They are all sitting on my back patio right now. I'll need to make sure they get nailed in place before they dry out too much.

Granted it has been pouring for 2 days now which is why they are not nailed down right now.

Are they tongue and groove? If they are real wet, when they dry you will have gaps big enough for stuff to fall through the floor to the ground and never be seen again. Of course this is all relevant to the value of the piece dropped!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

This does not have much to do with your need Mike but i thought i would throw it in.

If you buying pressure treated wood from the depot or other Borg, dont buy it strapped.

I am busy with a job at home and bought most of my need for fence boards loose selecting the best i could. (not from the depot)

Then other day decided while at the depot i would pick up some more just to rip into strips for some trim on another project and boy when it came to breaking the bundle there were blobs of the green stuff all sticky between the different pieces.

Even had to pry them apart. It was not resin from the wood it was the green chemical mix. I did not bother with too much analysis of what and where and why. It just caused me a great deal of agro with sticking on my table saw.

So be ware of strapped bundles. I think this mostly applys to the fence boards. 1x6 in size.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    This does not have much to do with your need Mike but i thought i would throw it in.

If you buying pressure treated wood from the depot or other Borg, dont buy it strapped.

I am busy with a job at home and bought most of my need for fence boards loose selecting the best i could. (not from the depot)

Then other day decided while at the depot i would pick up some more just to rip into strips for some trim on another project and boy when it came to breaking the bundle there were blobs of the green stuff all sticky between the different pieces.

Even had to pry them apart. It was not resin from the wood it was the green chemical mix. I did not bother with too much analysis of what and where and why. It just caused me a great deal of agro with sticking on my table saw.

So be ware of strapped bundles. I think this mostly applys to the fence boards. 1x6 in size.
    Are you sure that green stuff was not just pitch stained green by the treating proses?
    PT usually come long to cover shrinkage. KD stuff usually comes the right length.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.