Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shed Thread 10' x 24'

Shed Thread 10' x 24'

Well, the first weekend is over and so I figured i would start my actual Shed Thread to show some progress over the next month. "at least that's how long i hope it lasts"

Attached is the before picture. The old shed that had sunken into the ground in the back corner, the door barely closed, and roof was rotted out from the trees. The Trees turned out to be mostly dead so we had a company come in and remove all the trees in the back yard and I tore out the shed a few weeks later.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Before Shed.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	59179

After the work this weekend i have the crushed stone down and the Skids set and level. Purchased all the PT lumber for the flooring

I'll be cutting them to length tonight, and tommorow night i'll hopefully be able to nail them in place.

Name:	First Weekend.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	134.4 KB 
ID:	59180

The project is getting a little side tracked since my wife origionally wanted a small walkway to the shed so I didn't make a mud pit at the shed door. Well that turned into a 5' wide 41' long brick paver pathway. I didn't order near enough crushed stone for that so i'll need to place another order this week and I'll be spending this next weekend just on that. Hopefully if that gets done I'll place the order early next week for the remaining materials to be dropped off.

My projects always seem to go that way also. In order to do this I have to do this, which means I have to do that, which means I have to move that but before I move that I have to prepare this area which means,,,,,,,,,,,, I am sure you get the point!!!!!!!!
    Looks like a great start and look forward to watching this shed build. You building your own trusses or buying them?

Hmmmmmmm, a race between Mike and Mohammad!!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Are you going to build a floor support (joists) on top of those 4 X 4s, or do you plan to nail the PT decking directly to them?

If you're nailing directly, then you're likely to have a lot of flex in the floor. With only three stringers, you'll have five feet of unsupported flooring between them. For 5/4 decking, the stringers should be on about 24" centers, which means you'd need a total of six stringers.

For my 12 X 20 barn-style shed, I laid three 4 X 6 PT skids (stringers) and then built a floor structure of 2 X 6's on 16" centers on top of them, and laid the floor on that. It's been very solid, and I really don't consider it 'over-kill.'
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

2x6 PT floor joists will be set on those skids. Some of them are laying on the saw horses in the picture awaiting to be cut tonight.

And with this shed, i won't forget to add hardwire screen across any open area to keep the small furry animals from nesting underneath and driving the dog nuts.

On a side note, I finally priced out what my wife wants... just over a Grand in materials
    I'm going to try and convince her compacted crushed stone would look just fine. Maybe a thin layer or river rock over it for looks???

Edit: forgot to mention in that second picture, the two plastic totes are full of Roots that were removed from the area. There is another that's not in the picture
    Last edited by Mike Olson; 08-22-2011 at 04:05 PM.

Galvanized wire mesh, buried at minimum a foot below top of grade, that will greatly reduce the furry critter problem.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Another shed thread. I am so excited.
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

RE: the path

Don't use river rock. The smooth stones never pack. Pick some crushed stone. It packs up nice and hard. There are even products to pour on the completed stone to 'set' it. It might even be hard enough for snow blower. Living in California, I don't have any direct experience with exactly is needed for using a snow blower.

Some updates

My wife has decided that the path is going to be too big and expensive. So, we have spend the last few days filling it back in with the dirt we have left. Nothing like moving the same dirt 3 times for nothing

I just got back from placing the order for the remaining materials. Gave me that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach dropping that much $ at once but yet i'm really exited. They will be dropping it off some time this friday.

I got all the floor joists cut last night. Hopefully either tonight or tomorrow night i can nail it all in place, kinda depends on the rain. Oh, and I finally will get to try out my new "used" air compressor & framing nailer

Floor Joists are in

Finished installing the Floor Joists last night. It went up super fast with the nail gun. I might just get most of the shed/playhouse up this weekend. Maybe not..

I'm a firm believer of no pic-didn't happen so here is my update pic.

Name:	Floor Joists Down.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	59263

Looking good there!

Feels nice to get it started, eh?
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash