Shed Thread 10' x 24'

Mike Olson

Well, the first weekend is over and so I figured i would start my actual Shed Thread to show some progress over the next month. "at least that's how long i hope it lasts"

Attached is the before picture. The old shed that had sunken into the ground in the back corner, the door barely closed, and roof was rotted out from the trees. The Trees turned out to be mostly dead so we had a company come in and remove all the trees in the back yard and I tore out the shed a few weeks later.
Before Shed.JPG

After the work this weekend i have the crushed stone down and the Skids set and level. Purchased all the PT lumber for the flooring

I'll be cutting them to length tonight, and tommorow night i'll hopefully be able to nail them in place.
First Weekend.JPG

The project is getting a little side tracked since my wife origionally wanted a small walkway to the shed so I didn't make a mud pit at the shed door. Well that turned into a 5' wide 41' long brick paver pathway. I didn't order near enough crushed stone for that so i'll need to place another order this week and I'll be spending this next weekend just on that. Hopefully if that gets done I'll place the order early next week for the remaining materials to be dropped off.

:doh:My projects always seem to go that way also. In order to do this I have to do this, which means I have to do that, which means I have to move that but before I move that I have to prepare this area which means,,,,,,,,,,,, I am sure you get the point!!!!!!!!
Looks like a great start and look forward to watching this shed build. You building your own trusses or buying them?

Hmmmmmmm, a race between Mike and Mohammad!!;):thumb::thumb::thumb:

Are you going to build a floor support (joists) on top of those 4 X 4s, or do you plan to nail the PT decking directly to them?

If you're nailing directly, then you're likely to have a lot of flex in the floor. With only three stringers, you'll have five feet of unsupported flooring between them. For 5/4 decking, the stringers should be on about 24" centers, which means you'd need a total of six stringers.

For my 12 X 20 barn-style shed, I laid three 4 X 6 PT skids (stringers) and then built a floor structure of 2 X 6's on 16" centers on top of them, and laid the floor on that. It's been very solid, and I really don't consider it 'over-kill.'

2x6 PT floor joists will be set on those skids. Some of them are laying on the saw horses in the picture awaiting to be cut tonight.

And with this shed, i won't forget to add hardwire screen across any open area to keep the small furry animals from nesting underneath and driving the dog nuts.

On a side note, I finally priced out what my wife wants... just over a Grand in materials :eek:
I'm going to try and convince her compacted crushed stone would look just fine. Maybe a thin layer or river rock over it for looks???:dunno:

Edit: forgot to mention in that second picture, the two plastic totes are full of Roots that were removed from the area. There is another that's not in the picture

Last edited:
RE: the path

Don't use river rock. The smooth stones never pack. Pick some crushed stone. It packs up nice and hard. There are even products to pour on the completed stone to 'set' it. It might even be hard enough for snow blower. Living in California, I don't have any direct experience with exactly is needed for using a snow blower.

Some updates

My wife has decided that the path is going to be too big and expensive. So, we have spend the last few days filling it back in with the dirt we have left. Nothing like moving the same dirt 3 times for nothing :doh:

I just got back from placing the order for the remaining materials. Gave me that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach dropping that much $ at once but yet i'm really exited. They will be dropping it off some time this friday.

I got all the floor joists cut last night. Hopefully either tonight or tomorrow night i can nail it all in place, kinda depends on the rain. Oh, and I finally will get to try out my new "used" air compressor & framing nailer :D

Floor Joists are in

Finished installing the Floor Joists last night. It went up super fast with the nail gun. I might just get most of the shed/playhouse up this weekend. Maybe not..

I'm a firm believer of no pic-didn't happen so here is my update pic.
Floor Joists Down.JPG

Big Progress

I got further than I thought I would have. I took last Friday off from work and spent 3 solid days working on this.

Friday, Mid 80's with around 65% humidity. Had to change my T-Shirt 3 times and kept getting chased inside from all the bees.
The delivery truck came and dropped off 3 pallets of stuff. I laid the floor Ply and built 3 wall panels but that was it.
3 walls built.jpg

Saturday, High 80's with around 40% humidity but full Sun. Had to change my shirt 4 times. Stood up all the wall panels and nailed on the Celing joists and a few of the wall sheathing.
Walls up.jpg

Sunday, Mid 60's and overcast. No T-Shirt change but i got tons of Mosquito bites. Finished installing and securing all the wall Sheathing, cut out 2 windows, the door, and the Shed door opening. Cut and nailed together all the roof joists. Trimmed all the wall Sheathing level on top since I messed that up and they were not all level. I also garbage picked 6 window shutters on the way back from getting lunch. They are a little long but hey, free is free.
Playhouse Side
Playhouse Side.jpg

Shed Side
Shed Side.jpg

I'm going to be working on this Mon, Tues, Wed night as we are supposed to get heavy rain on Thursday and I want the roof on before that.

Oh, and the reason I built and sheathed the walls before putting up the roof is because the roof sheathing was on the bottom under all the Floor sheathing and siding. no way was I going to move all that Plywood just to get the roof sheathing.

My wrists and knees are so sore... I'll be popping quite a few advil over the next few days.

Mike, that is great progress as well as great documentation of the progress!!! Good luck on getting it weather tight before Thursday. There is a great feeling of knowing your new construction stayed dry.

My wife and i sat out last night for a little bit and we kept going back and forth between this thing is going to be awsome and did we make it too big???

I'm starting to think i built it this size just because I could, not because I should have. Meh, the kids will enjoy it and that's just less grass i have to mow.

I went to HD today during lunch to pickup a new blade for my circular saw. I was having to push my current 10+ year old blade a little too hard. I also used that same blade to cut through the old shed roof and cut up much of the rest.

The last blade I bought was for my tablesaw around 8 years ago and it was around $100 so i was putting off this purchase expecting it to be a little pricey. I was shocked when I could buy a 2 pack for $9.97 of the same brand as my old table saw blade. :doh: Why didn't I pick them up BEFORE i started the build. My wrist probably wouldn't be aching nearly as much right now.

Last edited:
Mike here i was thinking it was going to be L shaped and come forward on the right where there is a patch of soil. So much for being too big.:rofl:

Is that plywood sheathing you used grooved? I cannot make out the finish on the outside.

I sympathise with you on the knees and joints. I know that feeling after a day outside.

By the way for the circular saw i found a very thin kerf freud that does an amazing job on my skil saw. It changes a cheap saw into a luxury saw.

mike what is your normal snow fall in your area? just curious as to the load bearing of your rafters, looks like a shallow pitch and you dont need to have it cave under the snow load this winter..?