Shed Thread 10' x 24'

Slow progress

I was hoping to have the roof on by the end of Labor day weekend but we had High winds and lots of rain pretty much the entire weekend.

I managed to get all the rafters for the hip roof cut and installed and the first 6 pieces of the plywood sheathing up but not yet cut for the hip angles.

I will NEVER, EVER, do a hip roof again. the angles were killing me. it took Friday night and all day Saturday just to cut & install the 18 rafters needed for the Hips. Each rafter needed one single angle cut and then the other side needed a compound cut to fit. All this was done with a skillsaw and a speed square. oh and a few of them needed 55 degree angles in the compound and my saw plate only tilted to 45 which required some less than safe tool use. on the bright side the new blades helped a lot.

I no longer can work on it after work because it takes me too long to remove & install the 20'x30' tarp covering it due to all the rain. Hopefully i will get a rain free weekend soon so I can finish it up.

Here is a picture of the Tarp i'm dealing with. This is a picture before I started work on the Hip's
CoverTarp_Cropped.jpg

Last edited:
I was hoping to have the roof on by the end of Labor day weekend but we had High winds and lots of rain pretty much the entire weekend.
:rofl: Rule of thumb, the day your putting sheeting on will be the windiest day of the year, doing shingles will be the hottest (with no wind).

A good book for rafter layout can usually be found at the blue borg next to the speed squares. Well worth the couple of bucks.

Great Progress

So, this weekend I got a lot done.

Saturday I put together the Shed door and installed, put in all the windows and door and finished putting the sheathing on the roof. I tried to make the shed door blend in with the side of the shed as much as possible. I still need to make a stop on the inside and put on some weatherstripping to keep any rain out.
Shed_Door_Exterior.jpg

Hopefully the door won't sag as I didn't leave a lot of room for that.
Shed_Door_Interior.jpg

Sunday, I spent all day. from 10am to 7:30pm with almost no breaks to finish the roof. I still have to seal the nail heads on the ridge "forgot to buy that tar stuff in a tube" Last time I did a roof was in 1995 and let me tell you I can't remember being this sore. Standing for that long at weird angles really does a number on your joints.
Windows_Door_Roof.jpg
I still need to put trim around the windows and all corners. Then a whole lot of calking. Then I'll head back inside to finish up the partition wall and lot's of other smaller items.

Oh, and i discovered an interesting method to patch an air hose just in case some strange nail sized hole appears in your hose.
Hose Patch.jpg

Also, i am now calling my Sawzall my eraser as i have been using it a great deal to correct my mistakes.

Looking good. Yep, those roofs can be a pain. That nail, I'd at least put a hunk of black tape around it, air pressure, who knows where it will land!

I did that on Friday night when I was building the A-Frame for scaffolding. It's been in there since and i'm not loosing pressure or anything. it a surprisingly sturdy patch and my framing nailer is still getting enough air to sink a 3 1/2" nail.

my wife and son had a good laugh at my expense about that on Sunday when they were doing cleanup and they noticed it. My wife made sure to re-enforce the be careful when working with tools or that nail could have gone in your foot... :rolleyes:

Starting Primer

I have all of the major construction done and finished the exterior trim so i figured i would get started on the primer and paint before it got too cold.

I bought some good Benjamin Moore Oil based primer since I don't want to do this too often. The grooves in the T-1-11 siding is an absolute pain to paint. I went through a whole gallon on just whats in the picture. will probably need 2 more gallons. Since i have the air compressor i might pickup a HVLP spray gun from HF and try it that way.

Starting Primer.jpg

What I have left to do:
Decide on and install the flooring
Finish the shelving in the Shed area
Add tool hangers in Shed for shovels, rakes, etc.
Put in a serving shelf on the front window "they have been pretending fast-food"
Seriously consider adding drywall "need to investigate how it does in unheated spaces"
Finish priming, pick out paint color and paint exterior.
Paint the interior with one area covered in chalkboard paint
Scour Classifieds for some dirt cheap furniture to put in there.
Setup a dirt ramp for the shed door
Install a step at the front door
Layout the flag stones we found for a little front door patio.
Install the Shutters "still not sure if we are going to use them"
level all the dirt and plant some grass
Build some flower boxes to put on the ground in front of the playhouse to hide the skids

Last edited:
Passed Inspection

Well, the inspector came out yesterday and the Shed/Playhouse passed inspection.

I still have a lot of little things to take care of.

I'm still trying to get the Primer on, 4 gallons of oil based primer used so far and should only need 1 more. This is just for one coat of primer.

My wife has decided on a paint color so it it stays dry enough that should be going on in a few weeks. I'll take another picture once it's totally finished on the outside and post that. Hopefully in 3 - 4 weeks. The latest HF ad came in the mail and it had the HVLP sprayer on sale along with a 20% coupon so i think i'm going to pick that up and spray the paint on.