Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: magazines vrs cd's

magazines vrs cd's

ok let say we have mag we like and its available to be had in cd form for all of the back issues. you purchase this cd,, now do you pitch the hard copy? and what about the future issues,, do you get free up dates to the cd you have??
    whats your thoughts on this?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I just received the WJ CD, have not tried it yet. I will be ordering the FW and WOOD CD's someday soon. I had over 30' of shelf space devoted to magazine storage. You've been to my home, there is just not enough room here to dedicate that much space to something that could be shrunk to a single CD. Unfortunately, the people at Shop Notes and Woodsmith have told me they have no current plans for converting. Pity. That would save another 4' of shelf space.

I put mine on Craig's list and sold all the WOOD and FW in a few days as complete lots. Not much money, about $75 for both.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

When 'the big one' hits, I can still read my magazines . . . at least during the daylight hours ;-) I believe the CD "is what it is" and updates are not included. I have been sorely tempted many times to go that route. I would have to be confident that the content had been formatted for PC reading. That is; it would have to be searchable, indexed and have sub-tables of content for each issue. If it is just a big wad of PDF's, that can be pretty cumbersome to navigate. I would ask for reviews of the particular collection you are looking at. I know Fine Woodworking's first effort netted them a lot of returns and a fair amount of bad press; bad images, fonts too small, no search capability, etc. I too would be interested in hearing if the mags have stated taking this more seriously.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 08-22-2011 at 11:50 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

bill satko has gotten the FWW one and he likes it, claims it has a good search engine glenn, but i can see myself reading a magazine alot easier than searching and reading web page..its just tnot the same i can read and watch the game and cant do that with a cd..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I've got FWW and WOOD on CD, well, I've got them on my hard drive actually.

I really like getting the magazines. But instead of CD's I'd prefer to just be able to pay a subscription and get all the historical and current content on their website. I do that with FWW and really like that.

Which begs the question, why get the CD and do the online at the same time?

I only subscribe to 4 now. FWW, Wood, Shop Notes and Wood Smith. But I like all of them.

Personally, what I really wish is that I could get an electronic copy with each magazine. I tried scanning them and it just got too tedious.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

I have the FWW paper copies sitting in my study. I look up articles on the online index, but read them from the mag.

I should add that there is no real substitute to holding the paper in your hands, marking the page, or taking it into the shop to double check your layout, etc. HOWEVER, for me it has become a matter of necessity - it's the space. I still receive about 6 different WW magazines a month, but now I will keep them only as long as necessary - until the next CD comes out. I REALLY wish it were not so, they are like old friends, but I must make room.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    bill satko has gotten the FWW one and he likes it, claims it has a good search engine glenn, but i can see myself reading a magazine alot easier than searching and reading web page..its just tnot the same i can read and watch the game and cant do that with a cd..
    With FWW, I intend to maintain both my magazine subscription and keep updating my DVD version. Why? I still enjoy reading a physical copy, but the research value of the cd is invaluable. I can search for everything concerning sliding dovetails and quickly view the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    I really like getting the magazines. But instead of CD's I'd prefer to just be able to pay a subscription and get all the historical and current content on their website. I do that with FWW and really like that..
    I accidently found out that the online content is limited, as it does NOT contain all the articles that were written. For some copyright reason, a considerable amount of the older articles are not available online, but are available on the cd. I was searching for a specific article but could not find it and found out by emailing FWW about this issue. Shortly after that, I bought the cd.

FWW email responses concerning my questions below:

" Finewoodworking.com has hundreds of select article from Fine Woodworking; Not ever article is available. Before August 2007, select articles were put online. Now every article from August 2007 forward is put online."

"Regarding the DVD and online, the DVD is a different type of media and they were able to get the rights to put many more articles on the DVD. Out of 208 issues, only 26 pages total are omitted (on the DVD) due to copyright issues."
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Satko View Post
    With FWW, I intend to maintain both my magazine subscription and keep updating my DVD version. Why? I still enjoy reading a physical copy, but the research value of the cd is invaluable. I can search for everything concerning sliding dovetails and quickly view the results.

I accidently found out that the online content is limited, as it does NOT contain all the articles that were written. For some copyright reason, a considerable amount of the older articles are not available online, but are available on the cd. I was searching for a specific article but could not find it and found out by emailing FWW about this issue. Shortly after that, I bought the cd.

FWW email responses concerning my questions below:

" Finewoodworking.com has hundreds of select article from Fine Woodworking; Not ever article is available. Before August 2007, select articles were put online. Now every article from August 2007 forward is put online."

"Regarding the DVD and online, the DVD is a different type of media and they were able to get the rights to put many more articles on the DVD. Out of 208 issues, only 26 pages total are omitted (on the DVD) due to copyright issues."
    Very good info Bill. I totally understand the tactile feel of holding the magazine in your hands, etc... The one thing I haven't done yet is to look at using a tablet device for reading the articles. I've pretty much switched over to books on the table at this point, and could see that being a good way to have portable content to read.

For working on projects though, nothing would be having a paper copy, either printed or in magazine form.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

I'm pretty sure that if I went the DVD route, that I would end up printing much of it because I need/want something in my hand that I can take to the shop or the throne and write on if I want to. In my case, why not get the paper version in the first place. On the down side, I am running out of storage for mags--they are in paper boxes in the den, a bookcase in the shop is full of them, etc. One of these days LOML is going to say it's me or the magazines; I think it should have happened before now.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi