magazines vrs cd's

28$ for 7 digital issues? I don't think so. Especially not when I can't test it out first and I already get the paper copies....

I think the thing that bugs me about the whole thing would be paying for the same content twice.

Well, Look what just showed up on Facebook..

Wood magazine apparently has a version for the Ipad. They also say Tablets, but I'll have to check it out later to see if it works on the android as well...

We are in a transitional, really evolutionary, period.
While print media isn't going to vanish overnight some of your favorite paper publications might make that change any day now.
Libraries are starting to loan readers like Kindles.
At least one major newspaper, my old employer, the Chicago Tribune, is phasing out it's print version. They are offering subscribers electronic readers at near give-away prices to switch them over.
CD's are cheaper to mail than heavy print magazines.
Personally, I never thought I would enjoy reading something electronically. But I am currently reading a book with my iPhone and really enjoy it. Easy to read and saves my place when I close out.
Did I say "evolution" it is really a "revolution".
And, I'm old, stubborn and fixed in my ways. If I like it, I believe most people will.

That's a pretty good attitude Frank.

I like reading things on my tablet as well. Weighs less, keeps my place, etc...

I would consider switching my wood magazine subscription from paper to electronic, if they would offer the same type of deals.

Right now you could sign up and get 2 years of print (14 magazines) for 28$, while the online 'deal' is 1 year for 28$.

But the advantage is that if I got the online, I could easily print the articles and plans I want from my PC, or view it on my computer, my phone, or my tablet.

I still enjoy reading a physical copy, but the research value of the cd is invaluable. I can search for everything concerning sliding dovetails and quickly view the results

That is just the kind of feedback I was looking for. Thanks Bill. I too was saddened to learn that Woodsmith/Shopnotes is not pursuing this medium. I fear it will be their downfall. . . it is 2011, right?

We are in a transitional, really evolutionary, period.
While print media isn't going to vanish overnight some of your favorite paper publications might make that change any day now.
Libraries are starting to loan readers like Kindles.
At least one major newspaper, my old employer, the Chicago Tribune, is phasing out it's print version. They are offering subscribers electronic readers at near give-away prices to switch them over.
CD's are cheaper to mail than heavy print magazines.
Personally, I never thought I would enjoy reading something electronically. But I am currently reading a book with my iPhone and really enjoy it. Easy to read and saves my place when I close out.
Did I say "evolution" it is really a "revolution".
And, I'm old, stubborn and fixed in my ways. If I like it, I believe most people will.

Libraries loaning Kindles?:eek: (haven't seen that here, yet)
Your reading a book on your iPhone and that makes me wonder, does it have a text to speech mode? Can you use it like a book on tape when your driving? That seems like a logical progression, that when kids start using on a regular basis, our reading comprehension may actually go down, like our spelling has seemed to, in my lifetime, due to spellcheckers.

I know several people are PO'd at one publication I read on occasion. They announced they are going digital only, and staying the same price as the paper version that people subscribed to.