Thread: a good touch up medium

a good touch up medium

Their is a product called Brushing Lacquer. I use the Gloss and then use Powder pigments to get the color I want. You can not get a solid color from this. So you will need to do a few coats....................... BTW do not use a Lacquer product over an oil finish it will cause it to alligator and or lift the oil........................... It dries fast with in an hour. If you have large ares like the tops of drawers, inside edges of tables you might want to use a little lacquer retarder to slow it down a bit so you do not get over lapping. It will take a little bit longer to dry with the retarder. If you only get the red Mahogany, yellow and blue you will need to work with it a bit to learn how to get your color but there is a large assortment of colors through MoHawk. Then if you need to knock down the gloss just use some very fine steel wool from Liberon.
    2 pics of drawer tops , 1st has one coat and the 2nd has 2 coats. May need a 3rd.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010487.JPG   P1010488.JPG   P1010489.JPG  
    Last edited by Dave Hawksford; 08-24-2011 at 12:46 PM.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

Very nice!!!!!! I am going to post a thread later tonight about some tips in this month's WOOD magazine, can't do it now as I don't have the magazine at hand and want to get it worded correctly. I sure do appreciate your work and for you posting it, I am learning a lot!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

I would think you would have to know what the finish was to use lacquer as a fix. Used on an oil base finish like varnish or polyurethane could produce a reaction, like crazing or peeling, and it may not happen immediately. DAMHIKT

mike i think he had already stripped those drawers,, so the finish should be gone and neutralized
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

The drawers were stripped and sealed with Lacquer. I wanted them darker then the fronts so I used the brushing Lacquer. Mike I've been doing this 30 years. It's not my 1st time around the ball park.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hawksford View Post
    The drawers were stripped and sealed with Lacquer. I wanted them darker then the fronts so I used the brushing Lacquer. Mike I've been doing this 30 years. It's not my 1st time around the ball park.
    Your OP didn't state what was done or how the surface was prepared before using this "fix". No need to cop an attitude. For members that didn't know what was done prior, or had not seen previous posts, my comment would just be a caveat.

I'm not trying to tell you what to say in a post, but hobbyists might like to know procedures that not only are a successful method, but includes whatever problems that could be prevented. Forum discussions seem to me to be a good format for input from those that offer it.

Mike its all good, I write in broken thoughts lol, so no attude was copped just didn't realize you don't know know how to read between tje lines.

I just can't wait to see which of you pee's in the pool first. You both are very knowledgeable people. Shame you can't get along with out trying to decide who is the top dog.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

Steve,

I'm sorry but I laughed when I read your comment. I know it is not funny and I apologize.

Enjoy,
    Jim
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Steve I have not been in a pool in many years a lake maybe or even a creek now and then.