a good touch up medium

Their is a product called Brushing Lacquer. I use the Gloss and then use Powder pigments to get the color I want. You can not get a solid color from this. So you will need to do a few coats....................... BTW do not use a Lacquer product over an oil finish it will cause it to alligator and or lift the oil........................... It dries fast with in an hour. If you have large ares like the tops of drawers, inside edges of tables you might want to use a little lacquer retarder to slow it down a bit so you do not get over lapping. It will take a little bit longer to dry with the retarder. If you only get the red Mahogany, yellow and blue you will need to work with it a bit to learn how to get your color but there is a large assortment of colors through MoHawk. Then if you need to knock down the gloss just use some very fine steel wool from Liberon.
2 pics of drawer tops , 1st has one coat and the 2nd has 2 coats. May need a 3rd.

Attachments

• P1010487.JPG
    P1010487.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 40
  • P1010488.JPG
    P1010488.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 46
  • P1010489.JPG
    P1010489.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Very nice!!!!!! I am going to post a thread later tonight about some tips in this month's WOOD magazine, can't do it now as I don't have the magazine at hand and want to get it worded correctly. I sure do appreciate your work and for you posting it, I am learning a lot!

I would think you would have to know what the finish was to use lacquer as a fix. Used on an oil base finish like varnish or polyurethane could produce a reaction, like crazing or peeling, and it may not happen immediately. DAMHIKT

masterlogo.jpg

movingplane1.gif

The drawers were stripped and sealed with Lacquer. I wanted them darker then the fronts so I used the brushing Lacquer. Mike I've been doing this 30 years. :D It's not my 1st time around the ball park.

The drawers were stripped and sealed with Lacquer. I wanted them darker then the fronts so I used the brushing Lacquer. Mike I've been doing this 30 years. :D It's not my 1st time around the ball park.

Your OP didn't state what was done or how the surface was prepared before using this "fix". No need to cop an attitude. For members that didn't know what was done prior, or had not seen previous posts, my comment would just be a caveat.

I'm not trying to tell you what to say in a post, but hobbyists might like to know procedures that not only are a successful method, but includes whatever problems that could be prevented. Forum discussions seem to me to be a good format for input from those that offer it.

masterlogo.jpg

movingplane1.gif

I just can't wait to see which of you pee's in the pool first. You both are very knowledgeable people. Shame you can't get along with out trying to decide who is the top dog.