Found an interesting little reptile

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
Odd,

These little guys are supposed to be nocturnal and very shy. This is the second time we've seen him in a week. Sharon actually saw him, and I was able to grab the camera and get a picture of him.

Small cute little guy. He was a little feisty and clearly did not like having his picture being taken...

I'm pretty sure this is him... Sonora semiannulata semiannulata - Variable Groundsnake

attachment.php

Attachments

• FWW-4280.jpg
    FWW-4280.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 92
My opinion on 'cute reptiles' has changed drastically since I moved to Nevada. There was a time when I wouldn't have been able to get close enough to that little fellow to take his picture :eek:

Compared to the rattlers, I find him cute due to his small size and the fact that he is harmless...:D

I still don't find rattlers cute though, and find that our ability to co-exist peacefully to be completely non-existent! :thumb:

I'm not much of a snake fan, but that one's cool-looking. I think it'd be kind of fun to see something like that in the yard.

I've seen a couple of alligator lizards in the shop this year (and tons in the yard and woodpile), but I've not seen a snake around here for several years.

Reminds me of our Coral and King Snakes but of course no yellow stripe. I agree he is a good looking snake.

I was bush hogging my pasture yesterday and found a green snake, first one I have seen in years. I caught him and transplanted him to a safe place. Unfortunately I found a beautiful corn snake that the bush hog got.

Actually, I wouldn't have stuck around long enough to get a good ID. It looks too similar to a coral snake for my liking. If in snake country I carry a pistol with the first two rounds of bird shot. If I even think it might be venomous, it's dead.

We have a rule at my household here in Florida......if it slithers......kill it...... I hate those things

Last edited:
{Borrowed from your link}...
"Eats small invertebrates, including spiders, scorpions, centipedes, crickets, and insect larvae."

As long as he{she} keeps paying the rent like that ^, I could put up with it :thumb: I had a little 'thrill' with a scorpion when I was stationed at Ft Hood TX, don't care if I ever see another! *Woke up one night to one traveling across my arm...don't know if I helped shorten it's journey when I flung it, but it sure gave my blood pressure a boost... Then, there was the time I stepped off the tank one night, onto what I thought was a large rock...turned out to be an armadillo...yep, mother nature must of been shedding tears with her laughter on that one :rofl: ...being a shop hermit doesn't seem so sad now that I think about it :thumb: :D

Actually saw another one today on the sidewalk that looked just like that guy, but smaller. If they can help keep some of the other critters at bay and stay outside, I'm willing to work with them.

As an added bonus, when your city slicker friends come to visit, you can tell them it's a deadly desert king coral snake. Imagine their reactions when you casually say "Oh that? It's just a deadly desert king coral snake. We see 'em all the time out here. Check it out...let me catch him so you can get a closer look." :D