Who is in the path of Irene

I had read that they were using the hurricane of 38 as the benchmark. Whether that was the track or the severity they didnt say. But where I am, there are many an old timer that remember that storm as well as the one we had in 54 and hurricane Carol. Those were the three biggies to come through Southeastern Mass and Rhode Island.
My wife works in a group home with special needs folks. Her shift ends around 2 on Sunday. The home most likely will be evacuated as it is about a 5 minute walk to the water on the south facing shore... Hopefully the company will get the ladies out of there well before then as they are all severly disabled.
I may have to go out in it to get her from work when her shift is done as I wont have her driving in this but since she is considered "essential" personal she will be there.
Supposed to get some rain here tonight and again on Saturday so should be good and wet for Irene when she gets here!

Buckle down everyone and be safe!

well, the shenandoah valley is on the edge of the potential track cone last I looked... going to go out and see what trees I think are suspect tomorrow. Not that i can do diddly or squat about them either way. have to work Saturday, but am going to ask the pastor if I can use the church wifi to track the storm etc. that day. Either that, or I'm going to have my wife txt me updates if the track is headed 'too close' to us. In the meantime, we have lots of bottled water and a well stocked pantry.

Im one of the most pessimistic persons around.
And I take it all with the upmost reality.

NYers are stupid when it comes to this kind of natural disaster because it doesnt happen often enough for us to have an inkling whats about to happen.

The way I see it, trees and power lines that have never been shook are going to get hit sunday night and I dont see one truck out there yet ripping down branches that pose threats to lines.

People on the water in Jersey or NY should leave as told, but they wont.

They believe, or most of them do, they are untouchable by major storms.

Our power companies are not prepared for this, nor are our leaders who make the decisions.

This is a brew for a disaster.

sorry, thats how I feel and thats how I see it. WE take a direct hit, and as of right now, they still see it that way, we are going down for the eight count.

I thought about a generator, but Im quite sure the village would fine me daily for the noise it makes.

Allen I just woke up and looking at the NY Times tracking they got this thing gonna hit you whatever path it seems to be going to take.

Looks like Long Island is going to get a broadside. I would be having that limb taken out before it takes out the new shed and you gotta do all that work again.

Keep safe and hope that weather stripping on the garage door turns out to be just the thing.:thumb:

Allen, looking at the current tracking I'd say removing that canopy is an excellent plan.

The current tracking has it passing well west of me here in Boston. I'm still getting all of my trash bins moved inside, tying down the lawn furniture, & such just in case.

I've got about 10 gallons of bottled water and will fill all of my coolers & other containers with more from the tap on Saturday. Have a 'fridge full of veggies that can last for a few days even without power. It it really goes bad, I've got a case of MREs my brother gave me before he deployed.

I believe my favorite beach spot, Long Beach, is going to be obliterated if it hits where they are saying.
Thats a few miles south of me, and Id expect water to cover all the low lying beach areas.

My wife is still ill, I woke up with a low grade fever, so this is going to be a very exciting miserable weekend.

My son works today, but is coming later to take down the canopy and install the strip. I just hope I can work with him a bit.

I believe my favorite beach spot, Long Beach, is going to be obliterated if it hits where they are saying...

Allen,
Are you on high enough ground to not worry about storm surge? If it stays at Cat 2, the surge could be 12 feet or more above the high tide line.

It sounds like you're taking as many precautions as you can. Hopefully your neighbors are, too, and you won't need to worry about flying debris.

Are you considering leaving, or are you gonna batten down and 'weather it out.' (pun intended)

We're in Milford, CT, at a house on the beach. The same beach where the storm of '38 made landfall. This one's coming straight through here as well.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...d-montauk.html

This house survived that storm, but you can still see, just a ways down the beach, the places where houses didn't. Katherine Hepburn had a beach house a few miles up the shoreline. Here's a picture of her, at the house, after the storm went through:

chs_nn_katharine-hepburn-standing-with-shovel-1938-hurrican-11-196x300.jpg

Yikes!

Thanks,

Bill

I had to go to the supermarket this morning, just a few items.
The lines were ridiculous and there was no water, not one bottle of it.
I went to the beverage center, he had water on sale and pallets of it.
Someone I know a block from the ocean has a team sandbagging his house this morning.

I had to go to the supermarket this morning, just a few items.
The lines were ridiculous and there was no water, not one bottle of it.
I went to the beverage center, he had water on sale and pallets of it.
Someone I know a block from the ocean has a team sandbagging his house this morning.

ALLEN get your wife looked at if she hasnt been already!!! after this hits you wont get in for awhile.. and if you got it to have him ck yu out as well!!

Larry, that is very good advice to Allen. Allen, listen to the Ambassador, please.

Frank, how do you keep all that gasoline fresh? My experience with the new ethanol fuel is that is doesn't keep long at all.

Just got back from a short drive across I-76 & I 80 (Ohio Turnpike), and we must've seen over a hundred utility company trucks - mostly electric - heading towards the coast. They were generally in convoys of ten or twelve. Saw them from Milwaukee, Detroit, Toledo, Indianapolis, and lots of unidentifiable ones.

Your help is on its way, even before you need it! Hopefully, though, y'all won't need a lot of it. STAY SAFE, guys & gals!

Now it's all in the waiting . . . We're as prepared as we can be with food, water, gas and the generator. The outside is secured. I need to go in the garage and do something for now - I can't stand the talking heads on the TV.

OK - I did get a kick out of some OEM Guy down south (paraphrased):

If your not going to evacuate from a coastal area follow these instructions: write your name, address and next of kin in indelible ink on an index card, place said index card in your left shoe. Make it a tie shoe, not a sandal or a flip flop. Following these instructions will make it easier for us to identify you and notify next of kin when we find your body.

I'm just hoping the Grand Dame of my back yard comes through Irene OK. She's an 80+ year old White Ash tree that has a spread of over 80 feet.

attachment.php

We had a T-3 Microburst come through the area several years ago and wreak utter devastation within a 1/4 mile of my home, but not a limb was down in my yard. Here's a hint of some of the local devastation . . .

attachment.php

Hang tough everybody.

Cheers

Jim

Attachments

• DSCF9953 (Medium).jpg
    DSCF9953 (Medium).jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 95
  • DSCF5009 (Medium).jpg
    DSCF5009 (Medium).jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 95
Bloomberg just ordered the evacuation of the low lying areas of New York City and a shut down of the mass transit system.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/27/nyregion/new-york-city-begins-evacuations-before-hurricane.html

although they are forcasting her to downgrade to a cat 1 damage will still be substantial.
Spent the morning putting the final coats on the armoire parts and stored them down in my shop. Client picking them up early tomorrow morning. Then spent the rest of the day emptying the shed and taking it down. Tomorrow I will finish battening down the hatches, trimming any loose or dangerous limbs, make sure the chainsaw is working and do a final check for potential projectiles.

Good luck everyone who will see Irene tonight, be safe!

Went out to dinner (Wendy's - Big Deal!) this evening, and at the hotel next door there were about thirty utility trucks in the lot, from Missouri and Iowa. Still more help enroute, folks. Hang in there!!!

I finally decided to buy a generator this afternoon. Only every vendor around here seems to be sold out. We are otherwise as ready as we can be. Couple hundred gallons of water in the rain barrels, plenty of food, and a positive attitude. Stay safe folks. Keep in touch.

I would like to think(I could be totally wrong), that living in a very populated place has some advantages, like we get immediate response if we have a blackout.
I dont have too much faith in the utilities out here anymore, since money seems to be an issue with all of them constantly, and they are raising fees yearly, but I havent spent the money on a generator yet.
guess this time I missed the boat, but lets see.
If you lived in a very rural area, Id guess youd wait longer for a team to come out and repair one homes outage.