Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chair Tower

Chair Tower

In > this thread < I show near the end the workshop area on site that I was using, in one picture there is a white colored tower that is used in the chair stacking act. This is a new tower that was built out of aluminum for the new chairs, the ones I just fixed, but it had too much flex in the top aluminum plate. I removed the plate and found out that because of the way they welded up the tower, there was a lot of space between the plate and the frame, this led to the flexing.

They asked me if I could fix this, I told them that I could, I would remove the aluminum plate and replace it with wood, the artists liked this idea very much, they do not like the aluminum tower at all, and the plate on top especially.

They shipped the tower to me today.....

The crate is very neat, the sides clip into each other and can be taking apart or opened with just a small blade screwdriver to bend the tabs back....

My tool boxes are in there too, and after digging out all them darn packing peanuts, I can say that I do NOT like them, on a windy day!

Here is the tower standing on it's street feet, on stage in use it has four feet that are basically short posts that drop into inserts on stage, the inserts are all adjustable to make sure the tower is level.

The tower on it's way down to the Dungeon, I'll have to clear out a space for it and get it level, then figure out how I'm going to do this, I have a good idea, but we shall see.

for starters I think I'll use some very thick good quality plywood, it should be less likely to move with changes in the weather. I plan on making the top out of three pieces, two long narrow pieces that will go across two corners, and then one piece in between these two pieces to fill in the space, but it will not be for anything but looks.

More to come.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

Hey Mohammad, pass me some popcorn please.

You do realize that this is the beginning of an epic journey, they will be calling you from where ever they are in the world to come fix their stuff!

Congratz!

Craftsmen. Hard to find, worth gold when ya got a good one like Stu.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Popcorn always gets stuck in my teeth. I think I'll have ice cream instead...

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for the tower, Stu. Also looking forward to seeing where this journey takes you.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

You are all very kind

OK, here is an overview of the top of the tower......

and a view of both the right and left front corners....

You can see how the tubes are not flat, or level, but are sloped.

I will make a plywood platform that will be cut in such a way that the wood sits flush on top of the sloped tubes, and then it will be bolted in place. It will be a bit finicky getting it to fit, but not anything impossible, they want a perfect fit between the tubes and the aluminum frame.

I leveled the tower using my 4' level, it is dead level now, so I labeled each leg and marked the floor too, as I know it will need to be moved from time to time.

Now I just have to get a nice thick piece of plywood and start cutting!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Are they supposed to be sloped? If not, a 4" angle grinder would make short work of that mistake.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    Are they supposed to be sloped? If not, a 4" angle grinder would make short work of that mistake.
    No they are not supposed to be sloped, but an angle grinder would weaken the structure. I have a lot of weight that cannot shift around that goes on top of this tower. I'll make a new platform out of thick plywood and cut away only slightly the underside of the plywood so it mates perfectly with the aluminum structure, or at least that is my plan now.
    William Arthur Ward

I understand that Stu, I meant for those "tabs" that are sticking up and would cause the plywood to "rock".
    Jon