ESTY? have you tried it?

larry merlau

to sell your work and if so how has it been for you? know of others that have used it? how does it work, i see they generally have the shipping costs already figured as well.

Larry,
I set up two accounts for my wife. She sells crocheted and knit baby and doll clothes on one and 'adult' pot holders on the other. They were easy to set up and she has done as well as expected in this economy. Her items are small and light weight so we use a fixed rate for shipping and use regular mail, unless the customer wants things faster, then we adjust the shipping. ETSY makes a few cents each month for each picture posted and takes a small percentage of sales. They also required us to open a business Paypal account. I don't think you have much to lose, money wise, so give it a shot. Incidentally, presentation makes a difference, so good quality photos are very important! She's on ETSY under the seller names 'ayarnnut' and 'ayarnsquirrel'.

Last edited:
You control the page and the graphics (within limits). Paypal sends an e-mail when payment has been received (notification of payment received), then we ship the item.

Last edited:
I have been half-heartedly selling items on Etsy. During the holidays last year I didn't do too badly, but the rest of the year hasn't been selling much. But again, I haven't been trying very hard. Posting new work, and reposting existing items seems to be important for visibility......somewhat. Shipping is determined by you. After you initially set up the shop it's quite easy to use and maintain.

I have made some great contacts due to having an Etsy shop. So far the total sales isn't grand, but I have made some great connections that have resulted in a wholesale relationship with a retail shop, and there may be another one on the horizon.

I am better prepared for the holiday shopping season this year, and I expect sales to increase dramatically in 3-6 weeks. So if you're thinking about setting up a shop now is a perfect time to do it.

Hutch

When you set up your account make sure that you choose a name that is easily found. You can't change it once it is set. As I remember it is the first thing they ask you for. I didn't realize that and chose an obscure code word. As a result even my friends couldn't find it.

Make the title simple, recognizable and relevant. There is lots of competition on ETSY so you need to have a unique site name. Also make sure it is accessable from many of the search sites - you'll see what I mean when you get onto it.

Once you get the hang of the site it is relatively simple to modify your offerings and descriptions. The site is semi-intuitive so you have to experiment and use trial and error. Also presentation must be first rate to attract buyers. Your products must be different from the thousands of others offered. Also the price must be attractive. I ended up almost having to give away items. So i finally called it quites.

Good Luck. I didn't do very well with my site, however my daughter is doing well with hers.