state fair results

took another look at the table that took first today. i was listening to the people around me, and there were a lot of people wondering what was odd about that table. not only was it the top out of proportion, but the side stretchers on the bottom were higher than the ones in front. normally they would be the same size all around. even the finish on it was lackluster. oh well...:rolleyes:

got the score for my table

design (beauty, suitability, and color) 18.5/20
workmanship 18.5/20
originality 14.5/15
difficutly of project 14.5/15
usefulness 10/10
value of article in point of interest 10/10
value of article in relation to material used 10/10

for a grand total of 96/100 points

the table that beat mine, beat it with 97/100 points. i will be filing a formal protest....

Attachments

• 701 first place.jpg
    701 first place.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 700 displayed with ribbon.jpg
    700 displayed with ribbon.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 13
Judging at these things are pretty much "eye of the beholder" Dan.

I currently have four pieces entered at the local fair. An art piece I really like, and spent over fifty hours on, got nothing. A jewelry box I spent about fifteen hours on got a third. But an inlaid plaque I spent only a few hours on, and was hesitant to even enter for what I thought were 'quality problems' got a first. A fair-themed item I more or less recycled, and had about three hours invested in, also got a first. It appears that this year's judges only liked things with nice square corners, and they apparently preferred butt joints over miters and dovetails. Go figure...

Oh yeah, Best-of-Show this year was a relatively simple little end table whose only striking feature was that it was made of some really nice curly maple. Finish on it appeared to be rattle-can lacquer.

BTW, pics will follow, after I pick the items up tomorrow. I didn't take any pre-fair pics.

:huh::crazy:

Sure is a mystery to me how they got those numbers on that little table.

the numbers that i posted were for my table bob, the one that took first had slightly better numbers.

it's the principle of the thing rob, i'm just not built to just walk away from it. if i score 96/100 points, i want to shake the guy's hand and learn from him, not take his tools away... lol but its the big difference in quality, and only 1 point difference that did it for me.

both the table and the game board have been brought home. the game board took 4th with 84/100 points.

the judge wrote some remarks on the score sheet, they are as follows:

excessive use of oil - at the time of judging anyway! :huh:(obviously doesn't know that any oil was below 4 coats of shellac, and a paste wax finish. i did notice that there were a lot of what i call greasy nose prints, from everyone just having the need to touch the table top.:rofl:

not in agreement about the straight legs design-wise. (he must not have ever seen a straight leg. on the way back, i thought about how it would look with a long taper on the leg, but that would mean giving up the leg indent detail):rolleyes:

a very nice piece! nicely constructed! beautiful table top! elequent curve. (i think he meant elegant),:huh:

when i went back to pick it up, the guy who took me back to where it was could not keep from touching the table. running his hands on the top (more greasy nose prints:rolleyes:), asking all manner of questions, was the top all one board? what did you use to finish it? where did i get the lumber?, and such. i think that it's a good thing when people just cannot keep from touching something like this. like a moth to a flame.:D

i didn't file the protest, but had the gal agree to give the judge my letter, and the the photos pointing out the areas that i thought were flaws not taken into account. i figured, 2nd with 96/100 points is tough enough. i can't wait to start work on the b26 for next year....:thumb: