It Is Time!

Gee, I thought I was a good driver. However, I have seen that expression on Glenn's face when he rides with me.

I remember Greg's (my other son) face having that expression about 40years ago when he was a passenger and I drove around an off road race track. He didn't like it when I was shifting gears while we were still in the air.

Dang, I sure would like those reflexes back again.

Enjoy,
Jim

I sometimes get the feeling that we are dealing with the 'Most Interesting Man In the World' here....

To quote WikiPedia

"The most interesting man in the world" is a distinguished older, bearded gentleman who is shown through film clips of deliberately varying quality to have led an extremely eventful and colorful life, packed with over-the-top heroism and adventure.

Jim, I think you would give the guy in the Dos Equis commercials a serious run for his money.... :thumb:

My road racing experiences were quite limited. One downer was when I purchased a Formula V. It was a real fun car. I never got to drive it. It needed some work so my oldest son took it to his garage to work on. It only worked when he wanted to race. It was always under repair or waiting for parts when I wanted to use it.

You would think I would have learned my lesson. However, the same dang thing happened with the Lotus with two exceptions: 1) To my knowledge he never raced it and 2) I did drive it from Ontario, Calif to San Bernardino, Calif and back ONCE. Big deal, all of the way on public highways.

For something more interesting---How about the time I took Marlene Dieterich to dinner. Yeah. Just me and one of the most glamorous ladies in the world.

Now for the rest of the story as (I forgot his name) always said in his radio shows (Yep this is before TV time). WWII involvement had started for the USA. I had skipped a year when in grade school. So I was one of, only a few, males in my college at the time.

I had always enjoyed working on the stage crew in the auditorium (auditorium was second largest auditorium in the USA west of the Mississippi). The USO put on shows for the military using that auditorium. Late one afternoon, while the stars and crew were getting the evening program established, I got hungry and was getting a headache.

I mentally said, "The heck with it; I have to eat." So I yelled out, I'm hungry and I'm going for food. Anyone want to come. Well Ms. Dieterich said, "Me." And being a very sophisticated 16 year old, I took her to the local drive in. I'll bet I impressed the heck out of her.

So that is the rest of the story.

Well not quite the entire story. I ended up being one of two males on the entire campus. He was 4-F from extremely low blood pressure. I though I had died and gone to Heaven.

Enjoy,

Jim

I got into a lot of things that most people did not. My father was a hobbiest. When he got good with the hobby and started winning all of the awards, the family knew the hobby was dead. Dad would be off on to something new.

So we were into all sorts of things, many of which I was too young to do---but always included someway. Car racing, motorcycle racing, flying, built a sail boat, had a Chris Craft speed boat, raised rare cactus, collected snakes for LA County Museum (or whatever it was), raised camellias, flew gasoline powered model airplanes (dad even built one of the engines starting with carving the wood to make the mold to cast the metal), when I was 12 I was proficient in Continental Morse Code (Dad and I communicated from house to garage via telegraph keys, etc.), competition photography (developed, enlarged, printed, etc. The whole process.), racing pigeons, low fire pottery when I was in grade school, high fire ceramics after getting my degree, made custom high quality sound systems for auditoriums and outdoor theaters, made "high fidelity" sound systems for homes, mineral collecting, gem faceting (dad did diamonds also and won awards with them), I'm sure I missed a lot of things but this gives you the idea.

With all of this exposure to things, we had a lot of exposure to people. The exposure to people brought us more exposure to things. So I have been in many celebrities homes, mostly because the celebrity was interested in flying, photography or whatever.

I am not any better than anyone else, I just had a lot exposure because I had a very inquisitive father. If I had not been so darned immature I probably could have made many of those contacts pay off. As it was we just had relaxed fun. Myrna says that I was a child until one day I was suddenly an old man.

Enough B (I cannot write it the mods would kill me.)

Enjoy,

Jim