Under TV Cabinet design - Getting back to the roots

Hi Rennie,

There was not much response to the extension of the top so there is a good chance that I am the only one unhappy with it. To me it appears as something just stuck on as an after thought.

Years ago they put a grille on the Karmen Ghia Volkswagen. They didn't even cut out a hole behind it---there was no need---the car didn't have a radiator and the engine was in the rear. Some models of Buicks had fake port holes in the front fenders---again, they didn't even bother to cut holes through the metal or even paint the metal black where holes should be. I get the same kind of feeling with the extension of the cabinet top; the length was just added on.

Up to that point I liked all of the improvements you made. I really enjoyed watching the unit "grow."

Enjoy,

Jim

Hi Rennie,

There was not much response to the extension of the top so there is a good chance that I am the only one unhappy with it. To me it appears as something just stuck on as an after thought.

Up to that point I liked all of the improvements you made. I really enjoyed watching the unit "grow."

Enjoy,

Jim
Interesting observation. Would you be surprised to learn that both the tapered edge top and the bread board top are the same dimensions, except for the thickness. The tapered edge top is 1 1/4" thick, the bread board is 3/4" thick. Both are 45" inches wide and 18" deep.:huh:

There is an appearance of increased width perhaps, but to my eye this is in keeping with a G&G influence. Glenn might be a better judge of that than I, however.

Are we there yet?

If nothing else this has been a great exercise in design and in SU.

First, thanks to all that have either critiqued, assisted, or provided parts for this project. I really appreciate it!

Now on to the cabinet. I want you all to know that this might just be the one I WANT to build, just don't know if it is the one that will get built. SWIMBO is not crazy about the end panels and, quite frankly, they are a bit fancy for the room this will sit in. I may revert to a single flat panel during construction. We'll see. Thanks to Dan Noren for the knob design. Now I just have to see if I can make them! :rofl:

As always, comments are encouraged and welcomed.
TV Cabinet 8-30 a.jpgTV Cabinet 8-30 b.jpgTV Cabinet 8-30 c.jpg

Rennie, it's been fun to watch this design evolve! :wave:

For the panels, it looks a bit busy to me...what about a loosing the vertical lines in the panel. I think the rail at the bottom looks great and you could do the same at the top under the table top. Just as it looks on the front...:dunno:

Rennie, it's been fun to watch this design evolve! :wave:

For the panels, it looks a bit busy to me...what about a loosing the vertical lines in the panel. I think the rail at the bottom looks great and you could do the same at the top under the table top. Just as it looks on the front...:dunno:
You hit on plan "B" Jeff. Should I drop the divider idea, matched upper and lower rails is the way I will go.

Was that an adjustment since the images?
Yes.

The design, as I would like to build (Gotta get the pulls approved):rofl:

I've dropped the complex sides (the mating cabinet for another wall will only be 12" deep so I would not have been able to use a matching end treatment anyway) and open some pathways for wires.
TV Cabinet Plain Side 8-29 a.jpgTV Cabinet Plain Side 8-29 b.jpg

Last edited:
i offset the plugs for visual effect. i added the third to the breadboard end, because i think it looks more balanced that way. as to adding plugs for the rail and inside stiles on the ends, i wouldn't, doesn't seem right to me, can't explain how, just a feeling.

now go forth and build, we're waiting.....:lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk:

Lumber choice and rough cutting begins tomorrow, 8/31/11. I have no idea when I'll finish.:rofl::rofl: There is a general thumbs up from the majority of design guru's here, and mama likes everything but the pulls, so I'm moving ahead.

Dan, I might change the plug layout as suggested - not sure yet. For me, I like to see a function in the placement and I know the mortises would not be that deep so it kinda throws me off. I'll play around with placement later.

Here's the working design.
TV Cabinet Final 1.jpgTV Cabinet Final 2.jpgTV Cabinet Final 3.jpg

Again, thanks to all who aided in the design and helped me through SU-Trauma.:D

I'll begin a new thread for the construction.

Last edited: