Garrett Hack Wall Cabinet - Again

glenn bradley

About a year and a half ago I got a Fine Woodworking Magazine email and built a proto type of a featured wall cabinet designed by Garrett Hack. That build was out of scrap and pallet parts . I more or less guessed at the dimensions by watching the video and listening to some of the things Garrett said. I decided to finally get around to building one out of something better.

I had a pecan board up in the rack that I picked up one day since it looked interesting. I may need to go after another board or get creative as I pretty well burned it up making the carcass parts.

I used some soft maple for the back panels and the shelves. I got as far as a carcass dry fit tonight. I'm not in any hurry as I plan for this to be the little project I go to between sessions on a chest of drawers have been working on. Its more fun to work on something than to just sit and watch glue dry sometimes.

Attachments

• GH Wall Cabinet (1).jpg
    GH Wall Cabinet (1).jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 103
  • GH Wall Cabinet (2).jpg
    GH Wall Cabinet (2).jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 100
  • GH Wall Cabinet (3).jpg
    GH Wall Cabinet (3).jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 98
  • GH Wall Cabinet (4).jpg
    GH Wall Cabinet (4).jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 123
Looks great!

Don't you just LOVE that Lee Valley shoulder plane :thumb:

I really enjoyed the way Garrett puts that unit together, not a lot of precise measurements, lots of measuring off existing parts, to get a size :clap:

Cheers!

Thanks all.

so when you get this one done what are you gonna fill it with?

The one made of scrap ended up as dad's small plane cabinet in his shop. This one may (if I can hang on to it) end up in my shop doing a similar duty.

Don't you just LOVE that Lee Valley shoulder plane :thumb:

I really enjoyed the way Garrett puts that unit together, not a lot of precise measurements, lots of measuring off existing parts, to get a size :clap:

I do LOVE that plane. In the video Garrett's original cabinet width came from a reasonable place to stop repeating a black and white patterned trim that he was going to use. That video really amplified my move towards determining part sizes off of the piece I am working on as opposed to strict measurements from a parts list :thumb:

Last edited:
That pecan looks really great in person. I saw it yesterday when Myrna and I were up at Glenn's.

He showed me so much and tried to teach me so much that my poor old brain blew a gasket. And he gave his mom a beautiful three picture, picture frame.

I had a wonderful day. I probably wore him out with my questions and "show me"s.

Enjoy,
Jim

Last edited:
I had to do some work on LOML's guest bath remodel yesterday but, I did get the carcass basically done, hinge locations fixed and I am on to the door frame.

GH-Wall-Cabinet-pecan(7).jpg

I will frame the door with pecan and use a piece of this cherry for the panel. I will use soft maple for the back to match the shelves.

GH-Wall-Cabinet-pecan(6).jpg

With luck I will get the frame parts cut and milled before bed. :thumb:

Last edited:
Good thing I watched the videos again. The BACK comes next (although I don't think it could matter). I choose the grain pattern I like and cut the rabbets in the 1/4" material. Garrett uses 3/16" material but, I'm chicken.

GH Wall Cabinet 001.jpgGH Wall Cabinet 002.jpg

I never thought I would be able to plane across multiple boards across the grain . . . who knew? This is kinda fun . . .

GH Wall Cabinet 003.jpg

Well, not that much fun. Its August in SoCal you know :rolleyes:

GH Wall Cabinet 010.jpg GH Wall Cabinet 009.jpg

And they go in just like so . . .

GH Wall Cabinet 011.jpgGH Wall Cabinet 012.jpg

I still have my scratch stock from the prototype. I will run a bead on the inside of the back along the joints for a quirky detail but, that's for tomorrow.

Last edited:
Glenn,

Although you are not alone in the ability to inspire others here, I do find that you are one of the better demonstrators in the family. I guess knowing you and I are fans of the same styles helps too.:rofl::rofl:

As alway, nice job on this cabinet.:thumb:

Thanks All. I am hoping to get to the door tonight but, I may get distracted by actually starting to break down parts for my bedroom chest of drawers (finally). Either way, I will keep taking pics through the completion of this fun little cabinet.

I guess knowing you and I are fans of the same styles helps too.

More true than I like to admit. Thanks to my parents I have a wide range of tastes in architecture, art, music and so forth. Its hard to not pick up something when you are flooded with a variety of things; no matter how dense you are ;). My furniture tastes are bit narrower. I like what I like :eek:. I can appreciate the skill and beauty in other styles but, for my house it is mostly G&G, A&C, with a subtle dose of southwestern salted in here and there :D