Box Elder Slab Table

Jeff Bower

A little over a year ago I saw a big hunk of box elder stump in a local park. The shape intrigued me so I loaded it up and put it in the garage. (Pic 1) A few weeks later I found some legs from an old wood stove that used to be in my parents garage back in KS. (Pic 2)

I waited about 11 months before I finished it all up last week. Pretty labor intensive...It took hours of power sanding to get the chainsaw marks smooth. About 3 hours to get the bark off. More power sanding to get the sides smooth and then hours and hours of hand sanding to get the surfaces ready for oil. Once the oil hit the wood I was pretty happy with the finish. There are red/pink streaks that are common with box elder and streak of flaming curl grain as well. The cracks with change over time and only add to the character of the table. I have a couple smaller pieces similar to this one that will become tables as well. One is already sold so I better get cracking on it soon!

Attachments

• p_00072.jpg
    p_00072.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 57
  • p_00071.jpg
    p_00071.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 56
  • p_00392.jpg
    p_00392.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 53
  • p_00394.jpg
    p_00394.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 60
  • p_00396.jpg
    p_00396.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 63
Now that's one hunk of a table!:eek: I like it! I'm sure it was a lot of work getting it ready for finish, but the oil really seems to have brought out the color. Well done.:thumb:

Thanks again for the kind comments. :thumb::)

Apparantly our dog, Susan, likes the taste of box elder as she knawed on a bark inclusion last night :doh:...I can sand it out, but I hope she doesn't make a habit of it! Although, she only weighs 10lbs so it won't be a big problem if it does continue. :rolleyes::D

Thanks again for the kind comments. :thumb::)

Apparantly our dog, Susan, likes the taste of box elder as she knawed on a bark inclusion last night :doh:...I can sand it out, but I hope she doesn't make a habit of it! Although, she only weighs 10lbs so it won't be a big problem if it does continue. :rolleyes::D

Great looking table.

10 years from now you'll have a toothpick with legs just what Susan was looking for all along.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

wow, Jeff. That is way cool. Are those the legs from the old wood stove from Marysville.

Yes the one from the south garage...I found most of it out along the tree line just before you guys moved...still have the top and the front door...Oh and 1 of the legs...not sure what to with the rest.

no he stole them from his dads place and doesnt want him to know they were missing. he left one to make it look like it was alright:):rofl::rofl:

If he knew everything I took from thier place in KS before they moved...well lets just say its good he doesn't know. :rofl::D:rofl:

I've been turning a bunch of it recently. I should have some pics soon. It is indeed very pretty wood, and Jeff's table is a superb example.

Thanks again Vaughn...I have yet to turn any box elder, but I do have a few chunks in the pile I need to get to.